Chapter Four- Burnt Bridges

I Didn't Know If You'd Want Me There

Cass instinctively went up to knock on the back door of Morty's Television and Radio when she got back from visiting Klaus

Cass instinctively went up to knock on the back door of Morty's Television and Radio when she got back from visiting Klaus. She knew Elliot was expecting her but something about using the front door and avoiding walking through the alleyway felt wrong to Cass. She couldn't quite put her finger on it but she knew there was something about that alley. They must have landed there for a reason, right? Perhaps she was reading too far into it. Either way, she liked waiting for Elliot to open the door. He always had a goofy smile when he opened the door to find Cass back.

"Cass," Elliot grinned as he opened the door to let Cass in, "You know you can just use the front entrance, right?"

"I know," Cass replied dreamily as she moved past Elliot inside and went up the stairs. Elliot frowned slightly at her vague response but shrugged it off and shut the door, following her up to the back room.

"How did it go with your brother?" Elliot asked, leaning against the back of the couch that Cass had sat down on trying to look casual but failing. Cass kicked her shoes off and lent back against the couch, tilting her head right back to look upside down at Elliot.

"Okay I guess," Cass replied with a faint smile on her lips that made Elliot grin wider, "It will be fine. Things have a way of coming together at the last second with my family. And then failing horribly anyway..."

"Oh!" Elliot exclaimed, suddenly clapping his hands together and springing away from the couch and darting across the room. Cass frowned but smiled at his child-like enthusiasm anyway, "I've got something to show you."

Cass lent forward on the couch, trying to peer across the room to see what Elliot was wrestling out of a junk filled cupboard. Curiosity got the better of her and she jumped up and crouched beside Elliot.

He was wrestling a camera from out of the cupboard. But it wasn't just a camera. It was a lot bigger than any of the cameras Cass had ever seen and at first she pinned that down on never having seen an old camera from the 60s. But Cass was pretty sure cameras didn't need loads of external wires plugging into other contraptions that Cass had never seen before either.

"Here, I'll help," Cass said as she watched Elliot desperately try to untangle the wires without unplugging them. He only succeeded in tangling them more. Cass felt Elliot jump when her hands accidentally brushed against his as they both worked to untangle the wires.

"What is it?" Cass asked once they'd freed the thing. Elliot scooped the camera up, along with all the other things attached to it, and set it down on the coffee table.

"It's a camera," Elliot said and Cass raised an eyebrow to voicelessly say 'I can see that', "Not just any old camera though," Elliot exclaimed excitedly, "I've set it up to a timer which is attached to a scanner which will detect and read abnormalities in the electromagnetic field. It will detect those balls of electricity that you and your family keep arriving with and that will trigger the timer. The camera will take photos every couple of seconds. We'll have loads of photos to look through and work out who's arrived and, hopefully, which direction they all run off in."