Chapter Twenty Nine- Deja Vu

How many times has this happened?

When they made it to the barn, they peered through the numerous bullet holes in the panelling and saw Lila and Five are alone

When they made it to the barn, they peered through the numerous bullet holes in the panelling and saw Lila and Five are alone. There was no sign of the Handler but they had no time to look for her now. Lila pinned Five to the floor with both her fists clenched around Five's child sized throat.

"Eat shit and die," Lila spat and, whatever Five's reply, it was too strangled to be comprehensible.

Five struggled against Lila's grip but managed to wriggle an arm up to punch her in the face. Lila momentarily lost her balance and toppled over. Five took his chance and dart up. Panting and choking, Five got to his feet.

"Come on," he said manically, his fists raised. "What are you waiting for? Let's finish this."

"No," Lila said, shaking her head. Her lip is bleeding but it doesn't bother her. "This isn't going to be quick. I'm going to watch as you suffer. You deserve to suffer after what you did."

"Lady," Five said, his fists lowering as he used his hands to gesticulate, "I got no idea what you're talking about."

"Ronnie and Anita Gill." Was all Lila said. "1993, East London." She continued after Five made no indication to have any idea what she's on about. "You hog tied them and you shot them in the head."

Five drops his hands to his side and stared off into the distance, his eyebrows furrowed as he tries to remember.

"The flower merchants." He said at last and Lila nodded slowly. "They were your parents?"

"They never did anything to you. They never did anything to anyone," Lila said, her words full of contempt. "They didn't deserve to die like that."

"You're right, alright?" Five said. "I killed them. I killed a lot of people over the years. But it was all just a job. It was never personal."

Oh come on, Five. Cass thought. This isn't helping your case.

"Never personal my ass!" Lila exclaimed, stepping forward, squaring off with Five. "I've killed too. It's always personal. Always."

"That's why you're not cut out to be an assassin."

Jesus, Five? Seriously? If Cass and the others weren't so terrified of Lila, they'd be over there right now telling Five to shut his mouth.

"You want to blame someone?" Five said as Lila pulled out a knife. "Blame the Handler, alright? She faked the kill order."

Lila stopped, the knife still half raised.

"You're lying," She said, only it sounded like a question. "I saw the kill order. AJ Carmichael ordered it and you carried it out."

"Listen to what I'm telling you," Five continued, backing away slowly as Lila advanced with her knife. "The Handler gave me the kill order. She came on the job, which she had never done before. You're commission, you know execs never go on jobs, but that day in London, she was there. Ask yourself why."