Chapter One- Fuck You Too

"Yeah, fuck you too, buddy!"

February 13th, 1959

The white of her vision faded and so did the horrible image of her father's monocled face. As everything faded, so did the feeling of reality. Cass found herself feeling weightless but at the same time being pulled violently along by an invisible force as if she were magnetic and someone very far away was holding a very strong, very big magnet.

Cass had no control over where she was going. It's not as if any control would have done any good as Cass had no idea where she was. Everything around her was shrouded in a blinding, pulsing blue light. Blinded, she could barely keep her eyes open for more than a second. Resorting instead to screwing her eyes shut, Cassandra stopped fighting and put her trust in Five that he would save them and everything would be fine.

And then the floor, or whatever was keeping her from falling, disappeared and she found herself falling. She snapped open her eyes. The blue light was still there but above her now and fading. Before she had time to even open her mouth to call for Five to explain what was happening, she felt her body slam into something hard underneath her. The air was knocked out of her and a dull pain ebbed through the side she was now lying on. Not able to breath to talk, she just watched as the blue ball of light above her surged one final time and disappeared into the sky, merging with the blue tones as the sun set.

Breathing heavily out of confusion and being winded, Cass pulled herself upright. She had fallen from the sky and hit the ground. She spun around, taking everything in, although there wasn't much to take in. She was in some back alley, like a loading dock. The sun was disappearing behind a building that looked like the back of a store. There was a window up there but the curtains were drawn so Cass couldn't work out what kind of store it was, or if it even was a store. Still breathing shakily, Cass continued to look around her. She definitely wasn't in the Icarus Theatre anymore. And she definitely wasn't with her siblings, either.

"Klaus?" she called out, looking around her and up at the sky where the portal had been, "Diego? Vanya?" she called, her voice raising and shaking as she ran her hands through her hair, tugging slightly in her desperation, "Anyone? Hello?"

Cass breathing was becoming more and more irregular and she could feel the familiar tightness in her chest that never ceased to bring back memories of her father and that white room... She was spiraling. She was losing the sense of the world as she found herself alone once more. Cass dropped to her knees and grabbed either side of her head in an attempt to stop the world from spinning. And then a slight flicker of movement from that store's window caught her attention.

Someone had moved aside the curtain.

Whoever was there was gone in a flash and the curtain fell back into place but it was unmistakable that someone had been there. And that someone had seen her.