58

Opposites

Part 3

"Tenko?"

You opened your eyes to an unfamiliar world. White smoke covered the ground, a seemingly endless barrier of light surrounding the space.

It was like walking into a dream. A barren, pure place made of nothingness.

"Tenko?" You called again, looking for him for some reason, a sort of concerned tone to the way your voice echoed.

You spun on your heels, the cool, strange place confusing in its existence.

Finally though, you stopped. Caught sight of someone standing at the center. Only their backside was visible, their head drooping down as if they were staring at the ambiguous ground below their feet.

You could hear your own breathing. Feel your ears muffled by the sheer clarity.

Taking some steps forward, the shape of that still person became clearer.

Clothes a tad torn, a tad uncared for adorned his back. Hair in a long, tangle mess flowing to his shoulders with blue tones.

"Tenko." You said, wanting to run to him, but for some reason, this world feeling far too heavy.

Luckily though, the man rose his head slowly, turned around at the sound of your voice.

You were shocked at his appearance.

Tears were streaming down his face riddled with self-inflicted scars, the blood and water mixing till they tainted the dream.

There was a bruise on the side of his face too. Fresh and recently blackened.

But his expression didn't reflect the pain he should've been feeling. Actually, he seemed quite calm, undisturbed, at peace even. Such a place as ethereal as this was not one he felt ungrateful for.

Noticing the worry in your eyes as you neared, Tenko cocked his head to the side with a gentle smile.

"What is it, y/n?" He asked, the usually so roughened voice lighter than before.

A shuddered breath left you.

"I was looking for you- I-" You shook your head, disbelieving that he was actually here. "You're hurt,"

As if he had forgotten, the man blinked a few times, then looked down at his hands. There was blood on the tips of his fingers, seeping into his nails. And the shirt he wore- it didn't completely cover him the way it should have.

But it didn't concern him at all. He simply accepted the sight, dropped his arms back to his sides.

"It's not that bad," He said, hunching his shoulders. Thinking he was just being brave, you bite your lower lip, reaching for his face to get a better look at the bruise, but Tenko moved away.

"Don't touch it," He whispered.

"B-but I wanna help you!"

"No," The man shook his head, for some reason still crying despite the fact that neither his demeanor nor tone reflected that. "I deserved it,"

If only he knew how much it pained you to see him this way. How confusing it was too. He seemed so beaten down. Like he felt alone and desperate and on the edge.

His eyes welled with more tears, but that smile of his as he stared down at you never faded.

You wanted to cry too.