19

The first event was the obstacle race.

Though the majority of the students competing didn't expect such difficulty for a first trial, you and Shoto were prepared for it all.
Let's just say those years of 12-15 hour days didn't go to waste.

Even with tension radiating between the both of you, it was easy to put it all aside for the sake of winning.

When you wanted something badly enough, falling back into the dynamic of training partners rather than family worked better than anything.

It'd been a while since you'd had to analyze every possible scenario and person around you, but hey, you couldn't say it wasn't the slightest bit exiting when Shoto froze those beasts of machines and you melted the ice to watch them trap your competitors.

Ever since then, the two of you ran beside each other, sure not to leave any opening for a loss.

Wearing your mask and your earpieces, you were able to observe everything, use your senses rather than eyesight, but other than keeping the oxygen in your blood elevated, there wasn't much your quirk would help other than telling Shoto where his blindspots laid.

You and him managed to stay ahead the majority of the race, but unfortunately.
There was such a focus on your own paths, your own win, you forgot that the tension between you two wasn't the only one.

Bakugo caught up eventually.
And when he did, it wasn't without fervor.

"You bastard!" He yelled, flying through the air with his explosions, just passing between you and Todoroki. "Your declaration of war," He said, grabbing Shoto's arm, "was to the wrong person!"

With that, the two of them started going at each other, fighting while simultaneously racing one another.

You were sort of taken aback by it all.

So that's how Bakugo felt, huh?

Since his proclamation to the entire festival that he was going to be the winner, everyone was sort of angry at him for making 1-A a target.

But you guessed that someone who was so determined to come out on top even in simple exercises and mock training in the woods wouldn't give up so easily now.

Actually you were surprised it took him this long to get warmed up.

Of course it cost him to be so focused on obliterating Todoroki.

Because the last person you expected to win the race, soon flew past the lot of you.

And though you'd never admit it, you'd never felt so much pride for someone else before as you watched Midoriya cross the finish line.

Now that the race was over, most of you stood back in the stadium, out of breath, hands on your knees, trying to conserve what energy you had left.

Removing your mask, you tried to take out your earpieces, but sadly the crowd was so loud, once you removed a single one you caught yourself wincing.

You kept your eyes on the scoreboard, waiting for the official rankings to go up.

Izuku ended up in first that much was evident, but with you, Bakugo, and Todoroki all in a mess, it was hard to tell which one of you three came in second.

You didn't really care at this point. All you wanted was for the people in the stands to shut up and make sure you and Todoroki made it to the next round.

"You alright?" Shoto asked, noticing the tick in your face once you put the earpiece back in.

"Mhm," You nodded, standing back up straight and rolling your shoulders.