28

Shoto never understood the concept of shows such as this- the ones that led thirsty spectators to drool over the scene: contenders ready to tear each other to shreds for something as simple as a title.

A single, stupid, finite title that meant nothing.

He thought of that, stalking up the stairs to the platform.
The weight of his boots seemed heavier than before, the concrete below them rougher.
His hair blew from his eyes as he reached the top, giving way to the sight of Midoriya standing on the other side.

He stared at the boy for a moment- so green, so new, so innocent.

It made him realize, he didn't understand the contenders either.

People like Midoriya, like Bakugo.
The ones submitting themselves to be shown like pitbulls thrown into a dog fight.

What did they get out of this other than pride?

But maybe this was only bias, maybe he just resented them.

Those who only searched for things as meaningless as being number one.

He thought of that, standing still just at the border of the bounds.
As he did, the crowds felt quiet, yet still, a single sound still overshadowed that of the breath in his chest.

He heard his father's flames, from a distance, somewhere lost in the stands, his voice even.

For a moment, Todoroki felt sadness.
From the sight before him.
From the noises flurrying to his mind.

Because you.
You were neither a contender nor a spectator.
You were neither his father nor his mother.

But he saw you in Midoriya's eyes- in his innocence...
And he heard you in his father's fire.

Clenching his fists, the boy forced the sadness to fizzle out.
The sound of fire and sight of innocence obliterated with it.

So what, he couldn't understand?

He understood his rage.
He understood it was powerful enough.

Powerful to put out the sound and arrogance of those flames for good, no matter if it extinguished your bond too...

But Shoto seemed to always forget:

How easily he got lost when it was dark-
How hard it was to find his way home without you beside him.

***

"So," Todoroki said, standing between the fire pits at the entry to the ring. Slowly looking up from the ground and to Deku, he frowned with hooded eyes. "You're still here then."

Midoriya had to let out a sigh to keep himself steady at Todoroki's voice.
It was so low, quiet, threatening, but he heard it despite the crowds.
Shifting forward just into the arena, the boy tried to hold onto his goal rather his inhibition.

"Todoroki." He said, choosing not to be afraid of the person across from him- trying to remember what his pain was causing him to be. "I understand what's going on now."

Across from him, Shoto didn't move or react to his words.
It was like he wasn't himself anymore.
Like it was just his anger standing in his place.

Deku ran a hand through his hair, pushing back his sleeves, cracking his neck back and forth.
All Might would never approve of what he was about to do and he knew it would cost him, but it was worth it.

It was worth it to get his friends back.

Meeting Todoroki's gaze once more, he nodded his head as he bent his knees, getting into his fighting position.