61

Kinda short chapter, but-

Sneak peek at Opposites Sequel at the end :)

Patreon has 66

***

Hospitals weren't exactly the happiest place for you to visit anymore. Even if it was pretty routinely nowadays. This was a different hospital than usual, however- not one run almost solely for heroes and their students.

"I don't see why you're nervous," Todoroki said, walking at your side, his neatly pressed dress shirt causing you to furrow your brows.

Why did he wear such a nice shirt? Was it nicer than your shirt? What if you didn't wear something nice enough? And what if your hair wasn't as presentable as when you left the house? And you weren't nervous!

"Shut up," you muttered, following him down the hall lit with ugly yet bright led lights, the blue paned hall reminding you too much of what it felt like to go through physical therapy among other things...

You'd told Shoto about your doctor's appointment. The only people in the world who knew that you weren't an only child were All Might, that overly energetic doctor, Deku, Shoto, and Katsuki. Even if they were all pretty supportive about the whole thing, it was still at the back of your head all the time.

Today, however, that wasn't the source of your anxiety.

Exhaling shakily, you flexed your hands a few times, the two blue flowers in your fist trembling with you.

"Do you think- uh- crap-" You pinched the bridge of your nose, tried to calm yourself. Looking back at Todoroki he just blinked at you, keeping the same relaxed pace as he led you down the hall.

"Do you think she'll be upset?" the way you asked sounded laced with guilt yet hesitance. Like there was still a feather of doubt yet to fall in your mind. Doubt of your merit to be there with him. "That I didn't visit for so long?"

Shoto's neutral expression morphed into a small, yet, unforced sort of smile.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "She understands,"

She understood how hard it must've been for you. To be raised in a home that didn't feel like home at all by a family you weren't even allowed to call yours.

Rei first met you as a little girl. Hair gone grey so young- eyes heavy with the need to just be held.

You were such a tiny, lost thing. She'd been a mother for some time when you entered her life, the life of her youngest son. At the start, selfishly, she believed Enji would only use you as a pawn against her, drive her even crazier than she already was going, but-

Are you sad? You asked the woman as she held in her tears sitting on the floor of the kitchen one afternoon as her children played outside.

When Rei looked up, she saw a five-year-old wearing her elder daughter's old clothes, grateful because they were warm and untorn. You were blinking at her with a loose jaw, concern in those helpless, pretty eyes.

Y-you're very nice. You said, tip-toeing closer, holding out a little grey dandelion you'd picked from the garden and placing it in the crying mothers' lap. I don't want you to be sad.

That was the first time you'd ever spoken to her.

And that house? It haunted Rei. The sound of Enji yelling, her oldest hurting himself with his own power, Fuyumi and Natsuo getting scared and hiding in their rooms, Shoto getting angry and trying to defend her when Enji's yelling was replaced by his fists- It was killing her inside.