Chapter 4: What Now?

"George, I need to talk to you," Sam said standing in George's doorway, holding his breath. George lay emotionless on his bed, staring at the ceiling. He invites Sam in and Sam sits down next to him. "I'm sure Sapnap has told you by now..." George lay on his bed motionless. "... about what happened today. And I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I know how horrible you must be feeling right now, and I just wanted you to know that he loved you. He-" Sam paused and reached into his pocket. "I think it's better if you would just read it and not have me tell you." He handed George the book as George sat up.

" I couldn't do it, George, I just couldn't. I can't be here without you, I can't sit alone in the cell without you, what's the point of living if I can't have you?!? I miss you so fucking much and I don't know what to do with myself. I know you probably won't read this but I love you and you mean the world to me. I don't know what happens after this, but I've lost all hope. Goodbye Georgie, don't miss me too much. - Dream"

George lay the page on his lap with tears streaming down his emotionless face. He stared at the floor, avoiding eye contact with Sam. After a minute of sitting there, Sam stood up and walked out, closing the door behind him. He left a box by the doorway that was covered. After Sam left, George placed the page in the drawer of his nightstand and flopped onto his bed. He lay staring at the ceiling with tears streaming down his face. He closed his eyes and began to sob. He flipped over, punched his mattress, and screamed into his pillow, sobbing and not being able to breathe. After a few minutes of crying, George calmed down and cried himself to sleep.

-------

George was awoken by Sapnap lightly shaking his shoulder. The sun shined brightly through the window right into George's eyes.

"George, you have to get up, it's 11:00. I brought you some snacks and water." Sapnap offers him a plate and places the water on the nightstand. George pushed the plate away and flipped to his other side.

"I'm not hungry." He said holding back tears. "And I've been awake."

Sapnap stood above him holding the plate.

"George, you need to eat." Sapnap placed the plate on the nightstand and noticed the corner of paper coming out of the drawer. He pulled it out and sat on George's bed, George still facing the other way. Sapnap began reading and quickly put it down after the first line. Sapnap stood up, choking back tears.

"I'll be back in a bit and I want the plate half gone and the glass almost empty." He returned the page to the drawer and walked towards the door. He paused to look at the box, about to look inside, but he stopped himself and left. George lay where he was for a few minutes. After a few minutes, he finally sat up on his bed. His head pounded from crying all morning. He took a small sip of water and looked around the room. His face was puffy and his vision was blurred. He closed the nightstand drawer that Sapnap left half open and stood up shakily. He walked over to the box and brought it over to his bed.

He placed the box next to him and slowly lifted the cover. In the box lay his hoodie folded nicely and on top, one of Dream's journals. He picked up the journal and opened it when something fell out. It was the picture. George picked up the picture off the floor and stared at it. He couldn't cry anymore. Crying would only cause him more pain. He pulled the hoodie out of the box and hugged it. It smelt just like Dream, which replaced Dream's sweatshirt he had when George went to visit him. The green sweatshirt lay scrunched up next to him because he had been sleeping with it every night. George put his hoodie up to his face and hugged it.

"I miss you," He said to himself. Sapnap knocked on the door. "Come in," George said as Sapnap looked in. Sapnap smiled and walked over to George hugging the hoodie.

"You ok?" Sapnap asked

"No," George said, sniffling.

"You wanna talk about it?" Sapnap looked at George who stared at the floor, avoiding eye contact.

"No."

Sapnap sighed and began to stand up, patting George on the thigh. He turned around and spotted the picture that sat on the bed next to George. He picked up the picture and stood there looking at it.

"I didn't know it was that serious," he said after taking a minute to process the picture. George didn't say anything. Sapnap put the picture back down on the bed and walked out.

George lay in his bed for the next few days. He didn't cry anymore, but he didn't eat much either. The only time he got up was to use the bathroom and when Sapnap came to check on him. He only ate because Sapnap forced him to and he only got out of bed because his legs would go numb. George was no longer the loving, happy person everyone knew him to be. He was numb. He cut off his emotions because it was the only thing he knew how to do.

Sam knew how bad it was, he went and visited Sapnap every day, but avoided George only because he didn't know what to do if he did talk to him. Sam and Sapnap met up to discuss Dream's funeral a few days after it happened. Dream was a criminal, but he was special to some people and Sam couldn't ignore that. Sam thought the only way for George to have closure was to have a funeral, so that's exactly what they did.