Chapter 5: Is This Goodbye?

George sat on the edge of his bed looking at the floor as Sapnap walked in.

"You're not even dressed yet?" Sapnap said while tying a bow tie around his neck. George didn't move. "Buddy look," Sapnap continued, "I know this is hard, and believe me, I'm hurting too, but this is our last chance to say goodbye."

A tear rolled down George's face and Sapnap wiped it off his cheek. It had only been six days since Dream had died and George didn't know what to do with himself. He had sat in his own filth for the past week, not even thinking, just staying alive... Somehow.

"C'mon dude, I'll help you get ready." Sapnap stood George up and walked him over to his wardrobe.

------

TW: Drug abuse, Mentions of Suicide

Not much happened at the funeral. Sam said a few touching words at the service and everyone got to say their goodbyes. Almost the whole server attended, reflecting on the good things Dream did and how he brought the server together. There was a lovely catered dinner afterward, but George didn't eat anything. He had lost a lot of weight from not eating, and his expression stayed numb throughout the whole funeral.

When they got home, George sat on the couch watching tv while Sapnap took a shower. Callahan and Sam went home with them to ensure George and Sapnap would be ok. George rested his head on Callahan's shoulder, but it didn't change the fact that it wasn't Dream's shoulder. After Sapnap got out of the shower, George went to the bathroom to get ready for bed. As he got unchanged, he looked at himself in the mirror. He looked so skinny and frail. His hair was nicely combed, but only because Sapnap forced him to shower. He stood staring at himself in just a t-shirt and shorts.

Tears started rolling down his face and he opened the cabinet door. George grabbed a bottle of pills and quickly dropped them in the sink. He began sobbing and rattling the bottle, trying to get it open. Sapnap and Callahan ran to the bathroom door with Sam right behind.

"George, open the door!" Sapnap yelled as he tried to turn the handle and banged on the door. "GEORGE!" Sapnap repeated. They could hear George screaming and sobbing as Sam came up behind Sapnap with a lock pick from the kitchen. The door swings open as Sapnap runs directly to George. The cap of the bottle screwed off and the open bottle fell into the sink, spilling all the pills. Sapnap grabs George around the waist as George crumbles to the floor sobbing. Callahan kneels beside Sapnap and George as Sam stands in the doorway of the bathroom.

"I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!" George yelled at the top of his lungs in between sobs. "I CAN'T TAKE IT!" George begins to cough and choke, struggling to take a breath.

"Shhhh" Sapnap said calmly while rubbing George's back, "Just take a deep breath." Sapnap is on the verge of tears while he holds the shaking George in his arms.

"It's gonna be ok, bud" Callahan said, putting his hand on George's back as well. George sat shaking in Sapnap's arms, he rocked back and forth with his hands over his head as he sobbed. Tears began to fall down Sapnap's face and Callahan offered to comfort George. Sapnap couldn't move. Time stopped for a second when George yelled once more, the scream muffled by Sapnap's chest.

Minutes go by and George's sobs finally slow. Callahan stands up and goes to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Sapnap sits George up against the wall. Sapnap sat back on his feet and wiped his tears off of his cheeks. Sam went and knelt next to Sapnap, putting his arm around Sapnap's shoulders. Callahan comes into the bathroom with a glass of water and offers it to George. George denies.

"Please, take some, it will help," Callahan insists. Callahan tilts George's head back and pours some water into his mouth. George cringes but swallows it. Callahan kneels next to Sapnap and Sam. George was finally breathing normally, letting out a large sigh every now and then. His face was soaked with tears and his eyes were extremely puffy. George whimpered and rested his head against the wall.

"Let's go for a walk," Sam said, standing George up and escorting him out of the bathroom. Sapnap nods as Sam supports George on his feet and walks him towards the door.