Chapter 12: Nightmares

TW: PTSD and mentions of drug abuse

[ Sometime in July ]

It was the middle of the night when George started to toss and turn in his sleep. He began to mumble to himself, but the words were unrecognizable. Dream didn't wake up at first, but then George's mumbling got louder and slowly escalated to him yelling.

"PLEASE! I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!" George yelled, kicking the blanks on the end of the bed. Dream woke up right away and tried to shake George awake.

"I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! PLEASE!" George sobbed in his sleep, Dream desperately trying to wake him.

"George, wake up!" Dream shook him as George yelled once more, "C'mon, Baby, wake up!" There was fear in Dream's voice as he shook George awake. George woke up abruptly with sweat and tears flooding his cheeks and forehead. He sat up and breathed heavily. He looked towards Dream, who had his hand on George's shoulder.

"You ok?" Dream asked, waiting for George to catch his breath. George didn't say anything and lunged into Dream's arms, crying. Dream comforted George, trying to hold back his own tears.

After calming down, George sat back from Dream's arms and Dream went to the bathroom to get a glass of water. George sat still looking down at the bed, tears were still falling down his cheeks. Dream came back with a glass of water and went to the side of the bed George sat on. He put the cup on the nightstand and moved George closer to him, putting his arm around George's shoulders. He reached over and picked up the cup, offering it to George. George had calmed down and took a sip of the water, then placed it back on the nightstand. He rested his head on Dream's shoulder.

"You scared me there, Baby," Dream said, looking down at George and kissing the top of his head.

"I think I scared myself more," George said, taking a deep breath.

"What was that all about?" George paused and didn't respond for a few seconds. He sighed and sat up a little bit. He kissed Dream on the cheek and put his hand on Dream's thigh.

"It was a flashback," George paused, "Of the night of your funeral." Tears filled George's eyes and he looked towards the ground. He moved his hand off of Dream's thigh and twiddled his thumbs.

"I stood in the mirror of the bathroom, holding a bottle of pills, about ready to end it all. Luckily, Sapnap, Callahan, and Sam were all there to take care of me. They were amazing friends, but their love and safety couldn't even compare to yours." Dream smiled and hugged George.

"Don't ever scare me like that again," Dream's voice was squeaky from trying not to cry. He pulled George back and kissed him on the forehead. Dream wiped the tears off of George's cheek and turned George's face toward him. "Ok?"

"It was only payback for what you put me through," George said, looking straight into Dream's eyes. Dream dropped his hand from George's face and sat back slightly. George had never looked at him like that. Dream never thought about what would happen to George if he killed himself.

"George, I-" Dream stopped, not knowing what to say. He looked at the ground and stood up. He paced back and forth, George sitting on the bed and staring at the ground. Dream stopped pacing and looked at George sitting on the bed. He looked small and fragile. Dream knelt down in front of George so he could see him. Tears filled his eyes as he looked at George.

"I never meant to hurt you," Dream stared into George's tear-filled eyes. George looked away from Dream. Dream stood up and began pacing again.

"This was all my fault! Maybe if I would've just stayed longer," Dream began to panic, his brain filled with negative and false thoughts, blaming himself for everything that ever happened. George looked up at the panic-filled Dream.

"Dream..." George whispered. But Dream went on.

"Dream!" George started a little bit louder, but Dream's words of panic overshadowed George's. Dream paced faster and grabbed his head in frustration.

"DREAM!" George yelled. Dream stopped and looked at George. He stood there and stared at George as George stared back. George's eyes were still filled with tears and Dream's face was red with frustration. Dream was frozen in his footsteps. George stood up in front of Dream, but Dream didn't follow George's gaze. His face stayed frozen. George wrapped his arms around Dream's torso.

"It's gonna be ok," George whispered. Dream unfroze and embraced George. He cried into George's hair, trying to understand what he was doing. Dream dropped his head on George's shoulder and sobbed.

"I'm sorry, Baby. I'm sorry for everything!" Dream apologized to George. George reached his hand up and scratched Dream's head.

"Don't be sorry, Love. There's nothing to be sorry for." George comforted Dream until the crying stopped. George helped Dream to the side of the bed and they both sat down. George grabbed the cup of water from the nightstand. He took a sip and then offered some to Dream. George stood up slightly to kiss Dream on the forehead.

"I think you need to get some sleep." Dream nodded and looked at George. Both of them had puffy eyes and messed-up hair.

"You do too," Dream smiled at George. George nodded and Dream kissed him. Dream went to the other side of the bed and lay next to George. George faced away from Dream, laying on his side. Dream positioned himself perfectly next to George and wrapped his arm around George's stomach. George held Dream's arm that lay over him and they both fell asleep.