Lost in the Transmission (volume finale)

What the hell? I thought. When I had woken up, Blake was still sleeping in my arms, but when I looked around, I saw that Ruby, Yang, Weiss, were silently watching me with excited looks on their faces. Ruby flashed me a thumbs up and Weiss quietly clapped.

Yang: I didn't know you had that in you Kadoc! But if you do something to hurt Blake or assault her, then prepare to feel the unbridled wrath of a seventeen-year-old girl with anger issues.

I gulped and nodded my head. I was honestly terrified of Yang. My magecraft had its advantages, yes, but my energy supply was extremely low compared to the others. Yang, on the other hand, was fit and a force to be reckoned with in combat. I lifted Blake's arms off of me and slowly crept out of her bed. As soon as I got out of her bed, Ruby ran over and squeezed me tightly.

Ruby: You two look so cute!

I smiled weakly at her, and walked to the door, looking back at Blake with a sense of longing. I left their dorm room and returned to mine. When I opened the door, I expected my teammates to still be asleep, but to my surprise, they were wide awake, and with them were the team that had been announced before us-team KSDB. When I entered, team KSDB waved friendlily at me, and my teammates clapped excitedly.

Pepe: Congrats Kadoc!

Kadoc: W-what for?

Yu: Sleeping with Blake of course.

Kadoc: Please phrase that differently...

Ophelia ran up to me and hugged me tighter than Ruby did, practically crushing every single bone in my frail body. Looking over Ophelia's shoulder, the members of team KSDB, excluding the green-to purple balayage hair, seemed extremely familiar. The one with long blonde hair and the one with short black hair, in particular, was even more familiar. Ophelia let go of me and let me see Team KSDB.

Ophelia: This is team KSDB. Wodime, Daybit, and Beryl claim to also be Magi.

I looked at them with even more curious now. It was completely possible that we had met in our original world, or perhaps worked together which would explain the sense of familiarity. As I stared at them, fragments of memories started to become clearer in my head. I saw the blonde-haired boy, Wodime, play chess with the boy with shorter blonde hair, Daybit as the others and I watched in awe. Both of them predicting each other's next moves and pre-moving in order to counter them. Another memory of the seven of us in some sort of suit, facing a man with long hair who stood in front of a huge sphere-shaped device. Grand Order... I thought. Though the term had floated around in my mind multiple times, I still had no understanding of what it meant. But if anything was clear, it was that the seven of us had worked together on Project Grand Order, whatever it was. Beryl, the black-haired one, smiled brightly at me and waved.

Beryl: Yo Kadoc! I brought drinks.

Pepe: He makes a wonderful ginger beer.

Kadoc: A-ah...

I closed the door behind me and walked over to my bed, slowly sitting down on it. Beryl offered me a golden, bubbling liquid that was served in a plastic cup. I nodded my head to thank him and took the cup, drinking its contents slowly. Unlike the name suggested, the drink was non-alcoholic and was closer to a sort of ginger soda. It had a robust, spicy, and aromatic taste and was actually really good.

Kadoc: Oh god, you're right! How do you do it, Beryl?

Beryl: Family recipe.

I set the cup down on the nightstand and sighed. Pepe and Ophelia looked at me excited, practically begging me for details with their eyes. I shook my head to say no and they sighed in disappointment.