Chapter 16 - Claimed Regret (Edited)

The warm kiss of the sun against her closed eyelids slowly lulled her from a tranquil sleep. Refusing to wake, she deprived its continued prod by turning away to bury her face against the curve of Greyson's neck. With a deep breath, she drew his scent in, allowing it to comfort and calm her back to a sated state.

She would have remained there contently if she had not felt the soft caress of his fingertips over her naked back. When she started to feel the sleep take hold again she smiled warmly and snuggled closer within his hold. It brought awareness to the slight rumble she felt against her chest; was he laughing?

Rather than peek up at him, being that her eyes were still closed in blissful laziness, she flattened her hand over his heart and felt the more prominent shaking. His deep chuckle that followed sealed her suspicions.

"Why are you laughing?" Refusal to acknowledge the humor she heard in his voice kept her face planted against his neck.

"It is after noon and you are battling your natural waking." His continued strokes across her back did little to help with her wanting to move at all. She would be quite content to remain where she was the rest of the day. "We need to wake. There are things I must attend to and you have to plan a celebration tonight with Veirae."

Where she would have contended with him on the waking part, considering they only just fell asleep as the sun was rising, Marie's attentions turned to the celebration. This being the first she heard of it, she sat up and gathered the blanket around her torso, wrapping it delicately while looking down upon his relaxed pose.

"What celebration?"

As soon as she had sat up, Greyson had turned to lay on his back, propping one arm behind his head. He knew she'd have questions. "Their Luna will be announced to our pack tonight. Now that you are marked," his fingertips brushed the new mark over her collarbone causing her to tremble with a newfound need for him, "you will need to be presented to them as my mate and their Luna."

"What does that mean?" Marie's voice held uncertainty. She saw him reach for her, obviously feeling the same effect she had when he touched the mark. But there were too many concerns to allow herself to be reeled in for that. A quick shuffle of her legs allowed her to escape his arms just before they could latch on.

She was sure to take the blanket with her, keeping it securely wrapped around her body. The fact that it left him naked caused her cheeks to warm with a crimson hue that betrayed her flee from his grasp. Her body warmed to the idea of joining him and convincing him to stay inside with her.

"You will help me lead my pack. Be by my side," Greyson's tone deepened with concern over her reaction. Her gaze followed him as he sat up and pushed himself from the bed to stand. His stance was commanding and dominating as he approached her, forcing her to shrink back until she felt the press of her dresser against the back of her legs. The same limbs soon trembled and threatened to buckle as his fingers traced her jawline and cheek, moving down to capture her chin forcing her gaze up to look at him.

"Are you regretting my claim?"

"No, of course not. I'm just, I'm not sure I'm ready to lead with you. I've only been here a couple months. Half of that time I was a prisoner. Your pack is still getting to know me. Learning to trust me. I'm still learning your ways. Learning how to live without even basic technology. It's all new to me and very cumbersome," Marie admitted softly.

She wished to sooth the worry she saw in his gaze but not without telling the truth. Reaching up, she wrapped her fingers around his wrist then followed the line to cup her fingers over the back of his and guide his touch back to his mark. As soon as he touched it she could see the weight lifting from his shoulders as he sighed and released the tension.