Chapter 25 - The Original (Edited)

© 2012 Kiara Mais, All Rights Reserved

(The picture attached is Aerebelle (air-eh-belle).)

Snow rained from the heavens, so peaceful; dancing eloquently as it fell to blanket the earth with a fresh white canvas to paint on. With it came the nostalgia of crimson soaking into its purity and the dead that it flowed from. It was the last image she recalled of that night she was taken from Greyson and his pack. She clung to his memory, the very idea of seeing him carrying her forward through the heavy inches of snow that numbed her bare feet. If her hunter did not cling to her she would have been dead long ago, lost to the world and buried beneath the snow until the thaw of spring found her. Thankfully the power lingered with a warming aura but it too would only last so long and could only go so far. She was already trembling and could no longer feel her toes. 

That she was lost did not help her situation any. She knew nothing of where she was headed. Instinct carried her west and with nothing else to guide her, she followed it blindly.  There were no animals to catch, fed only by the snow to quench her body's thirst. With every hour that passed she was weakening and she could feel it draining from her. Forced to focus on her goal again, she hugged her arms tighter around her body, bent forward and pushed against the biting wind that tried to hold her back. She'd come this far and she'd be damned if mother natures cruel play was what took her down. But in the end, the stronger of the two finally prevailed and an hour later she stumbled then fell to her knees before dropping back to lay out on the snow. 

Above her, the snow continued to fall. It drifted like her mind while she tried to think of anything but the inevitable death that was rising up to greet her. She smiled in her frail and shocked state. Finding his face in the jumbled mess of it all to drive the fear away as the snow peppered her face and dark hair. Her skin was pale, rivaling the cold, white bed she lay upon. Breathe, just breathe...it will be over soon. No matter how strong she believed herself to be, she cried in these last minutes. The path of her tears warmed her flesh for a second before freezing in the tendrils of hair at her temples. Just let go, say goodbye...

"I love you Greyson." 

She was ready to take her last breath when she heard a wolf's howl in the distance. It seemed so far away yet she knew it could smell her. Her gaze and face shifted in that direction in search of it through the darkness. A chorus of answering howls proceeded until it filled the night and woke a new strength inside her. Dropping her hands from where they were locked over her stomach, she buried them into the snow with determination to sit up. The wolves were getting closer, she could hear their paws hammering into the ground but it wasn't until she was fully sitting up that their shadows circled around her.

In the back of her mind she had been worried of the possibility that they could be regular wolves, she wouldn't stand a chance against them. But now, looking at the sheer size of the largest that stepped forward from their ranks she knew they were not. But neither were they part of Greyson's pack. The largest she knew was their Alpha from the almost suffocating power she felt reverberating off of him. When he stepped closer she shifted her position to a kneel out of respect. His response to her movement was a low growl of warning then the trickle of an appreciative rumble in his chest. With her eyes lowered she saw his large paw crush the snow beneath it just beside her knee. It dwarfed her thigh and she knew one push of his weight could break her. His heavy huff ruffled her frozen hair and pulled her attention from his paw as he lowered his head to sniff her then snapped back quickly as if she had burned him. 

He huffed and turned his large head to one side of the group flanking her. They immediately dropped their heads in respect then backed up and disappeared into the trees, only their thundering paws giving away which direction they ran in. The remaining filled in the gaps and when she believed they were positioning themselves to attack her, their Alpha shifted in front of her and without a word scooped her tired body up into his arms. She would have struck out in defense if he did not speak up immediately, halting the progression of her curled fist and any thoughts of fighting him.