Chapter 23 - Our Souls Match (edited)

Marie shifted blissfully in the cocoon of soft warmth. The comfortable waking pushing away the nightmare that had taunted her. Wanting to push the last of its tormenting remnants from memory, she reached for him and when found, pulled herself closer to burrow into his side. Familiar tingles spread through her where their flesh made contact. She smiled and skimmed her nose across the taut muscle of his shoulder pulling in his scent. Only to freeze when the male musk that soothed her nostrils seemed different. 

Before her eyes even opened she knew it wasn't Greyson she was curled up against. It wasn't a nightmare. This realization snapped her eyes open to stare out across the expanse of his toned chest. Focusing on where her hand still lay flattened over his abdomen. Slowly and with much reluctance, she lifted her gaze then promptly disengaged herself from his hold when her eyes met Daniel's. 

The flash of hurt in his eyes with her immediate distance was apparent but she didn't care. What did he expect her to do? He could have killed her in that accident. He left her to be tortured. Hid her true identity from her and when she was finally starting to accept herself, he attacked the people she grew to love. Only to bring her here and subject her to more torture at his devise. 

"I want to leave. Let me go Daniel," she implored. Knowing even before he answered that it was a feeble attempt. But it did not stop her from asking and it would not stop her from insisting more every day until he relinquished. 

"No Marie. I can't let you go. Your place is with me." He answered before rolling away from her to plant his feet on the floor. "The sooner you realize that, the better it will be for all of us." His gaze found hers over his shoulder before he pushed himself up to stand and walk to his dresser. She watched him as he silently tugged a black t-shirt from one of the drawers and pulled it on. The cotton material clung alluringly to the movement defined muscles in his back. She found herself captivated and unwilling to look away. Wishing instead to follow him across the room and mold herself against his back. 

Until she saw the flash of amber in the mirror out of her peripheral vision. The color dislodged her stare from him to find her own eyes peering back at her. Except that their natural pigment was nearly washed out by the amber reflection of the hunter she knew was caged within. Something clicked inside, pulling her roughly from the bed, ignoring her half-naked state in one of his t-shirts as she crossed to him. None of the earlier desire she held evident in her tempered stride. 

He turned to her just as she reached him. Meeting her glare with his usual calmness that only served to infuriate her easily sparked temper. He waited, wondering what she would do. Having felt her pre-destined yearning for him and caught the amber hues that now peered at him knowingly. When her hand lifted, he did not flinch, unfazed by her obvious disdain and her slow recognition of what was between them. Then she touched him and the warmth instantly spread from her fingertips upon his cheek through his body to his toes. His eyes closed with delight, losing himself in such a simple connection.

One that was all too soon gone when she snapped her hand back as if burned. Knowing it could no longer be avoided, he opened his eyes and watched as several emotions perplexed her fair features. Then she flinched away when amber hues, very similar to her own, peered back at her from the face of a man she thought she knew so well. 

"You're...." she couldn't finish the sentence. Finding a sudden lump in her throat that she had a hard time swallowing.

"I'm your other half. A true hunter like yourself." His explanation vocalized what she could not say. She stuttered again and stepped back to lean against the dresser. Not trusting the strength of her knees to hold her up much longer. 

"It's impossible." 

"It's actually quite possible. Your hunter was dormant. She was in a very deep sleep that even I could not waken by being with you." He reached for her and brushed his fingers through her hair. But she did not cringe away this time. She was uncertain if it was because she did not have the will for it or because she actually wanted his touch. Either way, he seemed to be pleased with her willingness to actually let him near. An elated smile played across his lips as he continued. 

"You were born with a powerful human soul. Strong enough to be forged and mated to an Alpha. But now that your hunter has finally wakened and with us being together, she will only grow stronger and will soon be able to dominate your human half. You will be as you were intended to be. You will be mine." 

Marie pulled strength from his words but not as he planned. She pushed from the dresser, her feet finding new firmer purchase upon the cold floor. A quick swipe of her hand slapped his away from her hair. Immediately wiping that annoying smile from his face. 

"I am exactly as I want to be. She will not change me and you will not win. Let me go." 

With a speed she had only witnessed in Greyson, Daniel was upon her. He pushed her back into the wall, pinning his forearm against her neck to hold her in place. His hips anchored against hers should she try to kick out at him. She felt fear though she tried to not let him see it, pushing against his unyielding body with little luck. 

"You will never leave my side again. The sooner you recognize that, the easier it will be. Let go of him. You are MINE!" The fierce possession in his voice made her flinch. Horrified by his abnormal behavior. But even as she thought it, his hard gaze slowly softened as his eyes caressed her fair face. Their mated souls made it hard for him to stay angry with her for too long. He wanted to protect her and stand beside her in a necessary battle that would reinstate the hunters as charge over the supernatural monsters.

She felt him shift and knew what was coming even before his forearm dropped away. Replaced with a hand that cupped the back of her neck and tugged her forward to meet lips seeking her own. In a mere second of weakness she relented and leaned into him. Her lips, once set in a firm line grew pliable and parted beneath his kiss. Both moaned with a deeply rooted need that only mated pairs could feel. She felt his arm wrap around her waist, pulling her impossibly closer. She relented, melting against him with a sigh, only to pull back when Greyson's face flashed behind her closed eyes. Her hands lifted to brace against his chest, pushing him back with as much strength as she could manage. 

It was enough to dislodge his hold. The look of surprise on his face succumbing quickly to a terrifying anger that forced her back against the wall again in fear. But he did not touch her, instead his balled fist barreled through the wall beside her head. She screamed in fright and turned her head away, shielding her face with her hand. 

When another strike did not come, she peered up from behind her hand. He stood in the open doorway with his back facing her. The heavy rise and fall of his shoulder belying the otherwise calm facade he once again depicted. Silence settled over them. The deep pounding of her heart was almost deafening in the aftermath of mated weakness she did not want to feel. 

With the slight turn of his head, he broke the silence and revealed the anguish he had a hard time masking. "Do not think to leave this room. There are guards outside should you dare to try. I will send a meal in and give you some time to eat and relax. Then Moira will be here to continue what she started last night."

The slamming of the door shutting behind him gave her no time to argue. A sigh escaped her as she turned to look at the damage he had done to the wall. A concrete wall... The strength he contained matched Greyson's, if it did not exceed it. That he would only grow stronger with their connection terrified her. No one should have that kind of power. She couldn't give in to their paired hunter's souls. It wasn't an option. 

Marie belonged to Greyson and she would sooner die then ever let him change that.