Chapter 4 - Rejection (Edited)

"I don't know what you're talking about! I'm not a hunter!" Marie strained against the binds holding her to the chair. She was screaming at the overgrown man because he could not seem to grasp her answer after what felt like the hundredth time he asked. "For the last time, we came out here to camp. We hadn't been out in months. Daniel suggested it and we all agreed it'd be fun."

He had given her a few days after she woke but as soon as Veirae had reported that she was no longer suffering from the migraines, he started to interrogate her. At first he did so while she lay in bed, resting, as one should, after a horrific accident. But as time passed and he wasn't getting the answers he wanted, she was bound to a chair. Time after time, as if the discomfort would jar her memory or make her any more willing to give him information.

"In the middle of winter? It's below freezing! You're human, you can't survive out here." His blonde head dipped low to be level with hers, lips curled into a snarl. This was supposed to be easier. She had been kept imprisoned in the empty cabin for three weeks with little company and the least amount of food that could be survived upon, yet she still denied him answers. Worse, her imprisonment probably pained him more than she would ever realize. Humans could not feel the link as strong. He hated to treat her like this but she came here meaning to do them harm. He had to protect his pack.

"You keep saying that like you're not human. I think you're insane. You're all insane!" She snarled back. "Living out here in the middle of nowhere. Shut off from all modern society. It's no wonder my friends didn't survive the accident. They should have been taken to a hospital!" Tears stung at her eyes just thinking about them. "Did they suffer? Did you at least take them back to their families so they could bury them?" With her arms tied behind the back of the chair she could not reach up to wipe the tears that rolled down her cheeks and dripped from her chin.

The woman was a puzzle. He intended to question her some more but her current state deterred him. A hunter was trained to feel no remorse. They were all expendable. Their survivability rate was low. Yet she wept for the "lost" ones. It made his heart ache to hold her the way he was meant to. But she was the enemy. However, even that fault began to weaken. Her story had remained consistent, she never wavered and she seemed legitimately innocent.

"Just tell me what you know and you can go home. I will take you there myself."

"I've told you everything already! Every little detail I could think of between leaving my house and the accident. I don't know what you want from me." The defiant chin he was getting used to seeing lifted as she glared at him. "I'm not a fucking hunter! I don't hunt animals, or wolves, whatever the hell you're asking about. I just want to go home! I want to mourn the loss of my friends properly. I have done nothing to you!" She fought angrily against her binds, rocking the chair for good measure with her conviction of innocence.

Veirae took that moment to walk in. She was the woman that had cared for her in the weeks that followed. Rarely speaking. She could practically feel the hatred rolling from her shoulders. "You know she is guilty Greyson. If she is not giving you answers, then kill her! Torture her the way you do the others."

"Veirae you should not be here. Your judgment is biased with the death of your daughter."

"And yours is as well because she is your mate." Those words brought him up short and he stopped in front of the woman to glare.

"The hunter is not my mate."

Marie winced and looked down, taking a deep breath. Why did that hurt so much? What the hell is a mate?

"We both know she is Greyson. I am not blind to the looks. To the quickening of both your hearts when the other is too close. Were any other pack members here they would feel the same. You need to send for Alec to question her. You're not fit."

"Do not speak to your Alpha like that!" Both women jumped and cringed away from his harsh tone. It was strong and held a certain spell that made you want to bow your head. Veirae's eyes dropped instantly. Marie's still remained intent on the pair, something both of them noted silently. A trait only the mate of an Alpha could have. "I will take care of it Veirae. Leave us."

Greyson moved towards her as soon as they were alone again. His fingers made quick work of the ropes at her wrists, freeing her only to lead her to the bed until the back of her knees collided with the mattress. But he did not release her. His thumbs absently pushed firmly into her shoulders massaging the sore muscles from being bound for so long. "It is unfortunate that you had to come to me under these circumstances. I have been looking for you, for a long time."

The kiss that followed was unexpected and made her stiffen in his hold; yet, she somehow wanted to melt against him at the same time. His lips swallowed the confusion and filled her with a desire that crushed all her other senses. She couldn't place to words what he was doing and though she tried to rise from the weight of the emotions and needs he provoked, she found herself falling prey to them instead. Digging her fingers into his shirt, she tightened her grip and pulled him closer, molding her body against his with an unspoken need she couldn't describe. Then his lips broke away from hers and she couldn't stop the whimper that followed. He dropped his forehead to rest against hers, staring into her eyes while their breaths mingled. Why did he stop? Why did she care? Why wasn't she screaming at him in anger?

His hoarse whisper answered and confused her at the same time. "I, Greyson Alacard, reject you, Marie Everwyn as my fated mate."