Chapter 11 - Against all odds (Edited)

It'd been two days and she was still sleeping. Every one of the concerns he expressed to doc were shrugged off with a reminder that she had been through a mild set of torture by Alec before she suffered from near hypothermia. Even with the hunter genes, she was still mortal and her body needed the time to mend itself.

Greyson stayed by her side the entire time. Books and bound scrolls scattered about his chair, one currently propped open on his lap. They all said the same thing, depicted the same image. She was a born hunter, fated to kill their kind and all supernaturals. It was in her blood and she would one day waken to her task. Why she had not done so yet was confusing.

According to the legend, all hunters matured to their full potential at 17. By the age of 19 their tracking skills awakened naturally, assigning their first task. Marie was 22 according to her license, but her tattoo was still the light blue a fledgling would have. It would only deepen once her powers developed. It was also, thankfully, missing the three stars that were proof of her consummated assassinations of the main three supernaturals: Wolves, Vampires and Witches. Each killing made her stronger.

Greyson plucked the book up from his lap and threw it across the room in frustration. Something was missing. Why hadn't she turned? Why had fate paired a hunter with a wolf mate? It wasn't logical! And incredibly unfair. His defeated gaze settled back on her soft, porcelain complexion, willing her closed eyes to open and those full, naturally pouty lips to part and speak his name.

But why would she? Once she woke, finding herself back at the very place she tried to escape, she'd hate him. Probably already did. There wasn't any blame there. He growled and stood up, pushing the chair away with his booted foot to crouch beside her bed. He couldn't resist touching her. Being near her intoxicated him with her scent and he wanted more. Greyson lifted her delicate hand from atop the cover to envelope in his larger ones, pulling it up to his lips for a brushed kiss across her knuckles where they lingered as he watched her sleep.

There were no tingles. No indication of their bond from before. He severed that when he rejected her, but he still felt the connection inside. His wolf still knew who his mate was and howled in despair with the need to have her. But the rejection was already made, the only way to repair it was if she accepted him and forgave him his trespasses.

"She will you know.." Greyson did not turn his gaze from Marie when he heard Veirae's  indisputable voice from the door. He had known the moment she came into his house by her scent and even though her steps were soft, he had picked up their gentle shuffle across the wood floor. It was very difficult to surprise a wolf who's senses far exceeded humans. Her words brought little comfort, only confusion and with puzzlement clearly etched upon his brow, he turned to ask her only to be cut off by the wave of her hand.

"She will accept you. She would be a fool not to once she has seen the real you. Consider this a chance for your human sides to truly fall in love without the mating bond to influence you."

"How do you do that Veirae?" His head dropped to rub the pads of his fingertips across his strained eyes.

"A woman's intuition?" He looked up to watch her fuss over Marie for a moment. Checking her pulse, temperature and breathing before turning to the comforts. It took his brain a moment to process what she was doing when she pulled the cover back and caught the hem of the gown she was wearing. She only just managed to make it to her knees when he reached out and stopped her.

"She's fine Veirae. I changed her myself this morning." Lie...but he wasn't ready to explain the mark on her leg. The only other person who knew was doc and they both agreed that it would be best for everyone if they kept it between them. This time around, he was going to give her a chance. To believe her when she woke and explained what it was and what she knew about it. If anything at all. He trusted that she was not aware her friends were hunters. He wondered if they knew who she was. If that was their intention when they brought her up; to kill him or someone in his pack to start her process.

A million questions plagued him and he was almost certain she would not be able to answer any of them. He began to doubt if he should even ask her at all. Perhaps they could live their lives, love the way they were meant to and the hunter side of her would always remain dormant. A formidable frown touched his lips and pulled his brows low. Nothing was ever that easy.

"Still hate me I see." Greyson's heart stirred when that soft, broken voice touched his ears. A stubborn lump formed in his throat, thick with emotion that he dared not express just yet. His struggle with his own self-hatred forced his gaze away, unable to look at her while the self-contempt pressed heavily upon him. He had expected to find Veirae watching with pity but she was gone. When she slipped out, he could not be certain as the conceited focus on his own troubles clouded his senses.

"Could I have some water?" He heard the struggle of her words against the rough texture in her throat. It pulled at his torment and had him turn to collect the requested cup of water from the bedside table. A gentle push of his fingers through her hair gave the support of her head to assist in bringing her lips to the cup he held to her lips to drink from. 

Their close contact forced his gaze to find hers, or that would be the excuse for his lack of discipline. He was not prepared for the sadness that he saw within their depth. It stole his breath and crippled his resolve. "I'm sorry Marie. For everything."