Chapter 15 - Sealing Fate (Edited)

(Dear readers. This is one of my favorite chapters. Please note that there is very sensitive material towards the end. I have kept it clean but some may still be offended. Please skip the last few paragraphs if it makes you uncomfortable. Enjoy!! :) <3 )

Seriously? He just left...just walked out the door. Left her wallowing in agony on the floor while her flesh felt like it was burning off. Marie cursed him several times in disbelief before the pain finally subsided to a dull ache. Her breaths were coming out in short pants when she fell back to the floor from her hunched position. The blissful touch of the cold hardwood against her back drew out a contented sigh. She lay there for a while, staring up at the ceiling, not believing what had just happened and what she had done.

And then it started to sink in more. He left. She needed him there and he just left her. No word, no comfort, nothing. He knew what was happening to her and he ran away. Were they going to kill her? A gentle roll brought her to a lean over the floor, both hands falling to plant and assist in lifting her body until her feet pulled up beneath her and she stood. The aching of her thigh protested the weight but she pushed herself forward to the door. When reached, she grabbed the handle and pushed it down, the restricted click telling her all she needed to know.

He locked her inside; kept her from escaping. Probably thought she'd attack his people. What she thought had been forming over the last few weeks crumbled in a matter of minutes. An emotional, pain-filled scream tore from her throat as she beat at the door.

"Let me out! How could you? I trusted you!" There was no response. Anger unlike any other poured through her. She turned away from the door and tore through the room. Throwing breakable items, pulling the blankets and sheets from her bed to litter about the floor. The length of the room was paced several times, but only once did she look up at the full-length standing mirror. Her steps were slow as she approached it.

What she saw reflected made her cry out in alarm and turn to look over her shoulder. But there was nothing there. Her gaze returned to the mirror slowly, once more seeing that mist-like woman standing just behind her, slightly to the side.

In the world she had known before, she would have freaked, probably would have ran screaming from the room. But now, in a world full of vampires and wolves, she was intrigued. Greyson had not described something like this to her. And where she should have been frightened of the spirit, she felt a sense of calm and completion.

The woman smiled to her in the reflection and bowed her head in respect. She could not help but see the resemblance in her face. They must be related. As soon as she thought it, the reflection nodded in answer. Marie watched as she gathered the bearskin skirt of her dress and lifted it up until the tattoo on her inner thigh was visible. All three stars showed above the crescent moon. An original. She must have been an ancestor.

But why was she here? The woman tilted her head to one side and gestured at the nightgown Marie wore. Understanding her silent directions, Marie reached down and gathered up the skirt of her gown much like the spirit had done before. When she raised it high enough to view the tattoo, she gasped. The middle star was imprinted clearly above the crescent. Instead of feeling proud, a sense of melancholy fell over her. What did this mean? She couldn't kill anyone. The vampire had been self-defense and even with its evil, she felt a sense of guilt for having taken its undead life.

"No...I will not be a hunter." When she looked up at the reflection the spirit no longer looked kind. Her eyes glowed deep amber and her lips turned down in a menacing grimace. Marie froze in terror, watching as the woman reached out and touched her arm, but instead of stopping, they continued, disappearing into her body. Then there was the surge that she felt during her fight with the vampire. It was her...the inner hunter. She'd been the force that controlled her.