Chapter 10 - Fated (Edited)

"Why won't he let me see her?" The agitated Alpha paced the hall outside of his room, glaring at Veirae every few passes.

"He's checking her for frostbite. You being her mate, well, your wolf would not remain calm seeing another man touching her while she was undressed." Her fingertips clutched nervously into the pile of blankets she held. It was a dangerous thing, touching a wolf's mate. It was another completely when that wolf's mate was naked and she belonged to an Alpha. There was a good chance that he could shift at any moment and attack. Both having a very bad outcome for the girl. Weeks before she wouldn't have minded, but having realized she was not a hunter weighed her with guilt that she was determined to make right.

"WHAT?!" Greyson rushed to push past her but she bravely stepped in his way and held her ground. A ground that could easily be moved if he was angry enough. And he was close, his wolf was growing angrier and with their separation there was no one to calm him.

"Alpha, he has to do it. If you go in there now and disrupt him, he could miss something." When he appeared to relax somewhat she sighed with relief, thankfully his human side still had enough control to push his wolf back. "Please remain calm. I'm going in to help him and I need to be sure that you can contain your wolf long enough to let us care for her. I will call for you when we have done all we can." With his nodded agreement, and return to the pacing, she pushed the door open and slipped back into the room.

The doc was still looking over her body, his fingers moved over every inch, checking for the slightest sign of frostbite. It was amazing he had not found anything yet. She was human, being in below freezing temperature for over 24 hours, with little protection, meant she was lucky to be alive, but it also meant she should have been susceptible to hypothermia or frostbite. When he brought her back, he was certain there would be complications. But nothing was visible and her vitals grew stronger with every second that slipped by.

"I brought some more blankets. Have you found anything?" Veirae placed the folded stack at the end of the bed and walked to stand at her side. The doc stood on the other, Marie's pale arm raised within his hands as he searched over her flesh. A frown marred his lips in deep concentration. 

"Chris?" It wasn't often his true name was used, but she oh so hated using his nickname when talking to her mate.

"Hmm?" A pair of dark blue eyes looked up at her, smiling when his concentration broke and he realized it was she who spoke. "No, I haven't found anything. Which is odd. I was certain we would be dealing with some complications but she appears to be perfectly healthy. If just a bit cold. Come, let's wrap her. I do not believe she has any frostbite." He watched his wife grab a blanket from the top of the pile and snap it free from the fold to float down gently over the girl. When it was low enough he caught the edges and tucked them under her body. They followed suit with three more before they were happy with the results. "That should help bring her core temp back up. Veirae, I'll be headed home soon. Why don't you go on ahead and start dinner. I'm famished."

His wife was no fool, and he thought she saw through him for a moment but she suddenly relented and leaned forward to brush her lips across his. "Alright, but when you get home, I expect to hear what it is you are keeping from me now."

Chris chuckled and nodded. "Yes of course. Don't I always?"

Veirae smiled at her husband then turned and left the room, leaving the door open purposely so that their Alpha could come inside. Which he did without hesitation.

"How is she?" His long strides carried him quickly to her side, kneeling down to brush his fingers through her hair and collect her hand for a kiss to press to her knuckles. Doc watched silently for a moment, hating what the moon goddess planned for Greyson. He wasn't entirely sure what he found meant for the couple.

"She is fine." So concentrated on his mate, Greyson did not notice that the doc crossed back to the door and shut it again. "I found it truly surprising that there was no frostbite. Even moreso that she is already regaining her strength." His Alpha simply nodded, most of his concentration on her face. "Alpha." He watched him reach out to her, tucking a stray strand behind her ear, completely oblivious now that he knew she was alright. "Greyson!"

Greyson growled with the tone his pack member took with him but it got his attention enough to turn away from his mate.

"You need to see this. I think it might explain a lot" His hand moved to the blanket but when he began to lift it up, revealing her bare legs, Greyson's angry growl and catch of his wrist halted his progress. Looking up into his Alpha's black eyes caused him to falter for a minute before he swallowed and pulled on his captured hand a bit. "You have to see this. I'm only looking in a professional sense. I will not raise the blanket higher than her thigh." There was a bit of hesitation but Greyson finally released his wrist and took a step back to try and keep from touching him again. When he pulled the blanket even higher, he heard the sharp intake of breath as his Alpha fought with his wolf's need to claim. When it was finally high enough he gestured to the spot and took a few steps back. "Look on the inside of her mid-thigh."

Once the Doc stepped back, Greyson moved back to her side and did as he instructed, narrowing his gaze on the spot before they grew wide with disbelief. The blue crescent was visible against her pale flesh. It pointed down like the legend described but lacked the three stars above it.

"So she is a hunter..."

Chris shook his head hearing the defeat in Greyson's voice. "Yes, but she is a born hunter. Fated. A descendent from the originals."

(Hey Guys! Thanks for reading Would Be Hunter. I haven't done this for the first 10 chapters because I didn't want to bug anyone but I'd really would love to get some comments and votes! Please let me know what you think. Your votes tell me you love it and want me to continue. Great inspiration!!)