Chapter 24 - Witch's Trickery

Greyson POV

"Did they find anything?" Greyson's link with his beta trembled and shook with the crumbling connection that had been fading slowly since they took her. The degenerative effect of their prolonged distance was spreading to his power and mental stability. When in wolf form, his sheer size alone had at one point dwarfed the rest of them. A well-known attribute of the Alpha. But now he stood merely two inches above the height of his beta. Barely a scant larger. It worried his pack; he could feel their concern through the link. They feared for him. For Marie and the future state of the Nightstone pack. 

"Nothing Alpha. Her scent has been fading. Word has spread to the other packs. The old treaties you've put into effect have been set in motion." Alec answered, keeping his eyes focused on the shadows beneath the trees stretched out before them. The two were waiting at the border where the three other territories met. 

They kept to themselves for the most part but Greyson was not ignorant to the world outside their forged isolation. Nightstone was a peaceful pack that strived to lead others like them by example. Still, there were plenty left standing whose numbers grew with ambition and sheer force alone. Seeing this threat brought Alphas from bordering lands to meet and forge a treaty. If ever there was a true need, they would come together. 

Greyson had been sitting on his haunches, exhaustion forcing him to heel until the others arrived. He smelled them before their large heads extended from the shades of the trees. Their size a painful reminder of what he once was and the power he had held. His dominance and title still respected by the others though he had been concerned about their acceptance. Each nodded in acknowledgement before shifting so they could speak. No greetings were exchanged beyond the initial nod. All eyes were on Greyson, awaiting his update and further instructions.

"My mate was taken from me a month ago. Her trail went cold twenty miles north of here in Dredricks territory. I've kept my wolves out of his territory out of respect and entrusted finding her trail to him." His hands remained anchored at his sides, the tight fists belying his calm composure. He wanted to throttle the other Alpha for insisting on looking for her himself. Thinking that his connection to her would have been crucial but would not endanger the treaty or his pack. He had hoped that they had found another way of retrieving her scent. "Dredrick assures me there is none to be found and my wolves have not located her scent leaving his territory."

"There is no water where her scent was last picked up. My lands are vast and I can only assume they took her out by air. It is the only logical reasoning behind not being able to track them. My beta, Charles"  Dredrick nodded towards the man standing behind him. "He checked with a contact at the metro airport. It took some time but he was able to gather information on aircrafts granted permission for this airspace around that time." Greyson's eyes watched the folder passed between the other Alpha and his Beta eagerly before reaching out to take it quickly when offered. 

Obsidian - his fingertips moved over the name of the company. This was the third time the name came up. Alec had been digging into the ownership of the homes her friends had lived in for a majority of their childhoods. The same company was behind the purchases. So far they had found nothing on it but now there was a third and more recent connection. He handed the folder back to his beta. "Take this and contact the company they bought the helicopter from. Anything they can give you is important. Don't leave anything out. Go." His beta didn't hesitate when he heard the commanding tone. A turn of his heel faced him about to run back into their territory.

"How are you feeling Greyson?" Xander asked out of concern. It was evident the Alpha wasn't holding up well. Mates in this vast world were more difficult to find. Some wolves dying without ever having found theirs. Xander and now Greyson were the only two out of the four Alphas having a true one forged by the moon goddess. All knew of the dire consequences a broken connection could bring. They were already witnessing signs of it in as little as a month's time.