Chapter 22 - Best for Me or Best for You? (Edited)

So many emotions flowed through her. Some of them painful, some joyous but most were of betrayal. "I thought you were dead..." A conscious thought that she whispered out loud making Daniel wince and look away from her for a moment. She felt the tears burning but she refused to let them fall and blinked them away. None of them deserved to see her cry over them. Part of her was relieved he survived...the part that loved him and wanted to hold him. But then she remembered that he did this to her.

"My intention was never meant to hurt you." His voice was soft and laced with regret but she didn't want to hear it. Her mind did not process the obvious hurt that hinted in the undertones of his words.

"Bullshit!! It was exactly what you intended." Marie fought against her bindings. The rush of anger renewing her strength and helping her to sit up. "Christine and Joseph told me you planned the whole thing. Why? You knew they'd torture me!" Even with the heat of her fury she still pulled away slightly when he approached her, dominating her with his presence. He bent low, putting his face near her own to glare into her eyes.

"You weren't supposed to be considered a threat. The plan was to cause an accident. You'd get banged up a little but not as bad as it was. They were supposed to find you...help you, not imprison you." His fingers fell to her shoulders digging into her hard enough to make her wince which immediately made him lighten his grip. She watched his face soften, eyes lowering to follow the path of his hands as they slid down to her biceps and wrapped around to lift her to her feet.

"Their alpha was not supposed to be there. We underestimated him and even though we fed him enough tranquilizer to knock out an elephant he still woke up faster than intended. He was never supposed to find our weapons or anything else for that matter. We didn't even have time to set up the third body." His eyes were pleading with her to understand.

As he explained to her what happened, all the empty slots in the puzzle started to fill in. The picture was becoming clearer and all those tiny questions in the back of her mind faded away. It was a bit much to take in and she squeezed her eyes shut trying to concentrate while he continued. "I was always watching you. We have eyes and ears inside their camp. I wanted to kill all of them for what they were doing to you."

One of his hands parted to lift up and push his fingers through her hair, pulling the tie from the back to let the strands fall loose around her face. He preferred it like that. "The night you escaped, we were there to help you. We nurtured you long enough to bring your health and body heat back up and then we were forced to put you back."

How did they know Greyson would find her? Did they just assume? How did they know what was happening to her? Unless...  She felt him gently squeeze her arms as if he knew what she was thinking, what she was realizing. She didn't like the way her body was responding to him touching her. The tingles of warmth it was spreading. It was a different feeling from before. There had always been a strong connection between them but something was different now. It was a much similar feel to how her body responded to Greyson's touch.

"Let me go Daniel. Your plan backfired. My home is with them now." Unfortunately she was still restricted or she would have pushed him away to break his hold on her and whatever he was doing. It was another trick, it had to be. When he didn't back up and instead pushed her dress' sleeve back a little to look at her mating mark, she snarled and contemplated spitting on him. But the second she even considered it he pulled away and stepped back. He turned his back to her and nodded to Joseph before moving to the open door. He paused there and looked back at her, determination set in his features.

"I'll get you back Marie. Your place is with me and the hunters." Before she could respond he left and shut the door quietly behind him. He always had a way of controlling his temper, leaving her marveled by his restraint. She didn't have too long to think about what he said when Joseph approached and replaced Daniel's earlier gentle touch with his cruel one. The bruising hold forced her to wince, trying to pull away but she was restricted by the bindings around her arms and legs. Her struggle only succeeded in throwing off her balance so that she fell forward into his hold. His grip tightened to catch her as he grunted with annoyance before lifting her up and placing her over his shoulder.