Chapter 20 - Fancy Meeting You Here (Edited)

(This is going to upset some of you and I'm REALLLLLLY sorry. Don't hate me please. >.<)

Marie crashed through the door of Greyson's cabin, caring little that it swung wide letting the sweeping cold of winter in. With it came the snow that danced around her hesitant feet as she looked around her, searching for something. Her eyes wide with apprehension. There were so many places he could have put it and she was completely clueless on where to start.

Knowing that every second mattered, she rushed to the tall cabinet beside the fireplace. The doors forced wide revealed books and neatly stacked paper amongst a few unimportant items. Most of which ended up on the floor as she tossed them aside to look behind them. When the shelves were cleared with no luck, she dropped to the lower cabinets and repeated the process. Broken trinkets, torn paper and books sitting askew upon their bent pages rustled around her feet as she shuffled through the mess to the next cabinet.

Before long she had trashed his entire living area; pillows, documents, books, and décor scattered about her in complete disarray. Greyson would certainly have something to say later but for now it wasn't given a second glance. With her next destination already in mind, she turned and bounded up the steps to his bedroom. A pause was taken just inside his door, brushing her fingers through her wet hair as she growled in frustration.

Why couldn't he have just given it back to her? Would have made this a lot easier. She could have already been out there. Instead she was forced to tear through his bedroom and destroy it much like his living room. Her last hope finally swelled in her chest when she found a long flat chest hidden at the bottom of his armoire beneath his shoes. A sweep of her hand brushed them free letting her find the corners of the rectangle and lift it from the base.

Long strides carried her through the mountains of clothes and bed dressings to his now lopsided mattress where she set it down, instantly seeking the front clasps. Her anger grew when she touched the locks restricting her progress. A feral scream of frustration tore from her throat as she turned and stomped towards the fireplace in the corner to pull the poker from its rack. The remaining tools clanged loudly behind her as they toppled over.

Returning to the bed, she grabbed and tossed the chest on the floor to stand on it. Her weight anchored it as she forced the end of the poker into the lock and pushed down hoping to break it open. Instead, its tip slipped free causing her balance to teeter which only managed to increase her annoyance with it all. Expelling an agitated growl, she forced the poker back into the lock again, certain she gouged the wood floor but did not give it a care. Her muscles strained against the tight wrap of her dress as she fought the metal latch keeping her from helping. With every passing second, she grew more wary and anxious until, with a loud snap, it broke. Its counterpart followed shortly after on the other side.

Her heartbeat quickened in anticipation as she stepped from the top and quickly lifted it. Nestled inside was her treasure, her bow. Time was forgotten for the moment as she reached out slowly and trailed her fingertips over the crafted wood, tracing the carvings she never understood but remembered always being there.

As soon as she touched them, amber sparked in her brown eyes. Beside it, rested her quiver of arrows. She was surprised he kept them, considering they were silver and her means to their kind's end. Perhaps it was the weakness from the mating bond. It certainly gave her the reason why he hid and locked the chest. Though that reason didn't really matter to her at the moment.

She anxiously pulled the quiver's strap up her arm and lifted one end over her head to secure it across her back. As soon as she clutched her bow in hand she stood with a growing need to rejoin the fight outside. It was time to end this. Marie pivoted on her heel and started back towards the door, pausing when she caught her reflection in the mirror.