Chapter 17 - Mingling (Edited)

Two weeks...he only gave her two weeks to win the hearts of his pack. Looking over their faces now, she had a hard time believing the possibility of that happening. Sure, they were kind...welcoming, but they did not know who she was or what possible harm she could do. Their Alpha was taking a big chance on her. She hoped she would not let him down. The mating bond would devastate him if he had to let her go.

When Veirae had first explained to her about mates and their instant connection, she had smiled and listened, but inside, she was highly doubting that such a thing existed. Sure, she had a natural draw and attraction to Greyson when they first met but she had chalked that up to lust. But now, since he marked her, she couldn't stop thinking about him. She wanted him with her, every passing minute. The man was beautiful; perfection in every way and a wonderful leader to his pack. They were his family. Marie laughed softly at her own thoughts and shook her head. Christine would have rolled her eyes if she ever admitted that description of him out loud.

For the moment, she hadn't yet approached any of them. Her feet remained firmly planted on the stained wood of the front deck, toes barely teetering over the edge that would descend to the first step. Inside, her stomach was fluttering with nervousness. Yes, she had met them before, mingled, conversed, but she had not set out with the intention to win their hearts. And not with the same knowledge and curse that she now knew hung over her head. It was all so new to her. Greyson said his mark placed a leash around her metaphysical self, but they did not know that for sure. It could be possible that she was waiting for the perfect time. At least she didn't feel like she was fighting her true self. There was no lingering darkness or hatred. She felt like Marie.

With that warming recognition, she took the first step down and instantly caught air when her foot met ice and slipped out from under her. She braced herself for a hard fall, both eyes squeezing shut while her hands tugged from warmed pockets to stretch beneath her, palms flattened. The hard impact never came, odd.

One eye peeked up, followed quickly by the other when she found herself staring into the face of the man who tortured her those first few weeks. A tiny shriek slipped free as she struggled against his strong grip latched onto her upper arms. So he was her savior, fat chance she'd thank him.

"Please let me go." Her voice sounded meek as she tugged against his hold, sighing thankfully when he set her on the ground and stepped back.

Alec cleared his throat and looked away from her. He did not regret the way he treated her while she was being held with the suspicion of being a hunter. What he did regret, was their not discovering sooner that she wasn't. It would have saved them both a lot of grief and her fear of him. Not a great way to start a relationship with their Luna. Yes, they all knew. Their bond with the Alpha is strong, when mated they felt the connected link.

"Greyson asked me to accompany you today. Show you around some more." His eyes did not meet her face as he spoke. Both of them seemed more interested in their surroundings than each other.

Of course he would have to pick Alec to guard her. And what happened to the second one she'd requested? Surely the beta alone wouldn't be enough to stop her should her hunter's specter decide to take over? Needless to say, it was obvious both of them would have rather not been around the other. To her, it looked like he still did not trust her. To him, he felt like she would never forgive him. Both were unsure and anxious.

Knowing she could not complain, seeing as how she was trying to win their love, not make them detest her, Marie forced a smile and took a deep breath. "So...where to first then?" The bite of the winter wind forced her hands back into her pockets to warm again, hiding their inability to sit still. The shaking could not all be blamed on the cold. Alec's stern face remained as such, though his furrowed brow did relax a little bit with the sight of her smile. If she was trying, he could at least do the same.