Let Me Comfort You (Chapter 12)

"I'm sorry Marie. For everything." She heard the thick emotion in his voice and read the clear remorse within his ice blue eyes, and though she wished to grant him the forgiveness she could not bring herself to do so. A wave of her hand signaled for him to take away the water and once she was free of his hold she turned her back to him and curled up. Perhaps a bit childish, but she was just not ready to face the mountain of feelings and complications this would bring.

As if there were no complications before, there were plenty. But there was a very thick line drawn between them. She was the hunter and he was the man who kept her imprisoned here. There was mutual dislike and a growing hatred. Now, she could tell he saw the truth, how? That was the question. "When did you figure it out?"

He didn't need her to clarify what she was asking. As soon as she had turned away with no word he felt his world start crumbling all over again. There was no hope between them. Now she would be a constant reminder of what he could have had. Perhaps another pack would be willing to take her in?  Remembering her tattoo he knew that was not an option. And sending her home would give easy access to other hunters to draw her out. That was certainly not an option either.

His thoughts occupied his mind while he drew the chair he had earlier pushed away back to the bedside and sat. A worried motion of his hand slipped across his brow, rubbing the creases there formed in deep concentration.

"Greyson?" The sound of his name in her soft spoken voice set his heart beating rapidly and instantly pulled his gaze up to find her peering at him expectedly from over her shoulder. "hmm?....oh, yes, sorry. I sent a few of my men out to your home town." He fidgeted slightly, bringing his hand down to rub against the other before forcing them still by threading his fingers. He wasn't sure if he should tell her the condition of her parents. It may put an even wider wedge between them. "They told me that you were the only one out of your three friends that was reported missing."

"Even Daniel?" Curiosity and a new sting of pain spurred her to turn over again, this time to face him, but it was clear that she only wanted an explanation. It stung that she only wanted to know about the boy. Alec had told him the way she reacted to the dog tags. A low, jealous growl started in his throat and would have deepened had he not seen the grief within her eyes as she waited for an answer.

"Yes. All three of their homes were vacant when they checked."

Marie looked down at her hands, gripping the sheet within their fists as she fought to keep the tears at bay. There had been proof that Joseph and Christine were hunters, but Daniel too? She couldn't believe that. Perhaps he was lying to her. "I want to see the bag you found in the SUV again."

Greyson looked surprised at first then glowered and looked ready to deny her request. She was about to plead her case when he abruptly stood and left the room. A frown touched her lips in response to his reaction, he should be trying to earn her forgiveness. Perhaps he thought it would be a simple exchange of words and that would be it. Well he was in for a rude awakening. And what was taking him so long? One corner of her blanket was lifted and shoved back to allow her legs to slide free, eliciting a slight grimace when her bare feet touched the cold floor.

She was preparing to stand when a dull thud and shift of the mattress drew her attention around to the bag sitting not far from her. Feeling just a tad like a fool, she blushed and ducked her head, ready to pull her legs back up when his warmth enveloped her.

"You shouldn't be out of bed yet." His words spoke softly at her ear, his breath a gentle caress across her flesh that sent unexpected pleasant shivers through her body. The betrayal of her body irritated her off and caused her to place her hands against his chest to push him away before she gave had any more reactions she didn't want.  The wounded look that marred his face upset her but she forced herself to ignore it and turned to the bag.