Wolves, Vampires and Witches! Oh My! (Chapter 13, part 1)

Marie tried to focus through the haze and exhaustion, pushing her weak grasp to catch hold of the windowsill and pull herself up. That was the hard part, on the other side she crashed to the snow covered ground, shivering and wiping the layer of snow from her face.

This was a bad idea...she should have just stayed, built a fire and warmed herself first. A quick glance back over her shoulder passed in longing now for the decrepit cabin they had stored and tortured her in for the past weeks...months...she lost count. Their last idea of leaving her with all the windows opened broke any last good thoughts she had of them.

She'd rather die on her own terms than theirs. Reaching around her torso, her frozen fingers gripped and pulled the blankets she layered on her back closer around her tiny frame. Before the accident she was healthy looking, fit, by no means overweight, but she wasn't what was referred to as stick and bones either. Her capturers diet made her this way and she felt incredibly weak because of it.

She was certain that she'd die out in the woods, but at least she attempted to save herself. Who knows, she could get lucky and find a road or some indication of civilization. "Hopefully soon..." Her steps were becoming less manageable on the steep upgrade a few feet from the cabin she was in. She slipped a few times, soaking herself with the snow and was already thinking about giving up and going back. Looking behind her again found the cabin still in sight. "Yup...definitely dead."

Only the brave or truly stupid would continue. She contended to think it was the latter.

Her pathless wandering continued for hours before she collapsed to her knees, her body refusing to move another inch. Thankfully the shutdown decided to occur in a convenient clearing free of snow. Shaking digits sought the flint she had taken and the small rolled bundle of kindlng she hooked to her belt, perhaps not entirely stupid.

It was hard to feel the stone through the numbess of her fingers, cursing after several strikes did nothing but make her body scream at her from the movement. It needed to be done or she was surely dead.

"This can't be happening....come on!" The scream that tore from her throat in desperation echoed like a large arrow pointing at her whereabouts, but she didn't care. A hard strike was delivered with the last bit of her strength before she fell forward and rolled to her back staring up at the cloudless sky. Well, at least she would die under a beautiful view.

A single tear escaped each eye and rolled down the sides of her face, soaking into her hair. The further collection and burn was deferred when she closed her eyes. When they opened again the silhouette of a person leaning over her made her jump with a start. Lips parted to relieve the building scream of terror when a gloved hand clamped over her hand.

"Shh...Marie. It's okay. You're okay now." His hand lingered for a moment before he was sure she would not scream. When her breathing became even and a tranquil calmness settled in her gaze he removed his hand with a warm smile.

"Wow...I really must be dead...."

--------------------------------------

Marie gasped and sat up sharply in bed. A quick glance around the dimly lit room reminded her where she was. Being in his home brought about a relief she wouldn't be so honest with if asked. A lift of her hands pushed her fingers through her hair in frustration. What was that dream about? It felt familiar but she couldn't recall the little details. They were blurred as if keeping her away from that locked part in her memories.

"Relax..it was just a dream."

With the need for fresh air driving her, she struggled with the heavy blankets, kicking them away along with the books still piled around her. She had read through them late into the night, hoping to find a way around her fate with no hope. Exhaustion with her search must have knocked her out before she was able to put them away. Several dropped with a loud thud causing her to wince and look towards the door. She did not want to wake him.