49

CHAPTER 49

Mia and Jack are playing on the beach while Brian, Dom, Letty, Catalina, Tej, Rome, and Ramsey sit around watching and talking.
"Daddy! Come play!" Mia yells at Brian for Jack.
"Yeah," Brian says with a smile.
"Look at him. Look at him," Mia tells Jack as she points at Brian before Jack runs over to Brian.
"Yeah, buddy," Brian says as he picks Jack up.
"Duty calls," Dom says with a smile.
"It does," Brian says in agreement.
"Hey, babe. Come on," Mia says as Brian gets up.
"Let's get Mama. Yeah!" Brian tells Jack as they make their way over to Mia. "Here we go!"
"Because the sun is out, I'm kind of medium rare, but I can get, like, well done. Like, really dark," Rome rambles as he talks to Catalina, Tej, and Ramsey. Tej nudges Rome as he watches Brian, Mia, and Jack. "What you nudging me for?"
"Close your mouth for two seconds," Catalina tells him before pointing at her sister, Brian, and Jack. "Just open your eyes, man." Brian picks up Jack with a smile on his face.
"Beautiful," Rome says as he watches.
"That's where he belongs," Letty says as she watches.
"Home," Catalina says in agreement with her.
"Where he's always belonged," Dom states as Letty looks over at Dom with a small smile before looking back at Brian and Mia.
"Things are gonna be different now," Rome says with a small smile causing Tej to smile and nod in agreement as he wraps his arms around Catalina. Brian picks Jack back up as Catalina's phone buzzes.
"Duty calls one last time," Catalina says as she stands up before giving Tej a quick kiss.
"You aren't going to say goodbye?" Ramsey asks Catalina as she starts walking away before Dom joins her.
"It's never goodbye," Dom answers her as they watch Brian hold Jack and wrap an arm around Mia. Brian kisses Mia before he hears Dom and Catalina's cars.

Dom and Catalina are driving before they come to a stop at a four way stop.
"Hey," Brian says as he pulls up beside Dom. "You thought you could leave without saying goodbye?"

"I used to say I live my life a quarter-mile at a time," Dom thinks with a smile. "And I think that's why we were brothers. Because you did too."

"It's official," Hobbs says as he stands in front of Catalina, Brian, Mia, Letty, and Dom. "You're all free."

"Home sweet home," Dom says as he pulls up at a street race, while Brian and Catalina look around with smiles on their faces. They get out of the car before looking around at all of the other cars.

"Good race, O'Conner," Dom says as he walks over to the others.
"Thanks, Dom," Brian says before turning to Rome and Han. "Do you know how long I've been waiting for that shit?" Rome smiles at him as they bro hug.
"I told you he didn't see it," Han says as he looks at Brian, who looks between Rome, Catalina, and Han confused.
"Your people right there?" Rome says as he motions between Catalina and Dom. "They let off the throttle at the line. You didn't do nothing. They let you win."
"Bullshit," Brian says as Rome and Han start to walk away.
"I don't know, man," Catalina says with a smirk as she walks away, causing Brian to frown.

Brian and Mia are walking along the beach before they stop to kiss. They walk back up to the house as they hear an engine before seeing a challenger. Dom and Elena get out of the challenger before they walk over to Mia and Brian, who have smiles on their faces.

"Money will come and go. We know that. But the most important thing in life will always be the people in this room. Right here. Right now. Salude, mi familia." Catalina glances over at Tej, to find him already looking at her causing her to smile. She definitely felt as if there was something between them.
"Salude," Everyone says as they all touch their beers together.

Dom turns right at the four way stop leaving Brian and Catalina, who both take off from the four way stop. They look at each other and smile before they each take a different path at the fork in the road. Catalina smiles as she thinks about how close she and Brian became. How they became family.
"No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter-mile away or halfway across the world. You'll always be with me. And you'll always be my brother."