Chapter 6

Brunch was silent without any discussion of business. Both the elder brothers were in their own thoughts and looking at the younger one who was eating slowly.
Abhi- Kunj what happened? You don't like this food?
Kunj- I like it bhai..
Abhi- Then why are you eating so slowly.. We two are almost done and you have not finished even half.
Kunj- Wo.. wo .. bhai.. I .. I am just trying to be careful so that I don't drop my food or spoon down..
Abhi and Manik both looked down in shame as they know why he was doing it. Many times they have punished him for droping food or spoon down. Just a day back also he was punished for same.
Abhi- Its ok you eat. Yake your time and if food or spoon fall down also no problem..
He smiled lightly and confused Kunj also smiled back before going back to eating still carefully and slowly. No matter what he is not risking.
Abhi and Manik stayed on table till Kunj didn't finished his food. After eating Kunj got up and picked his plate and went to kitchen. Both the elder brothers followed and stopped him from washing the plate.
Abhi- Leave it in the sink no need to wash it.
Kunj just nodded and did as he was asked then went to his room. After sometime his elder brothers came in.
Manik- Kunj come let us watch tv.
Kunj looked up in shock and then slowly pinched himself. This action was not missed by two standing on the entry of room making them more guilty.
Kunj after realising he was not daydreaming slowly got up from bed and moved towards them who smiled and moved out towards the living room. Three of them settled on the couch and switched on the tv. Where one was eager to watch tv and that too with elder brothers other two were confused with what to watch. Abhi remembering that Kunj mostly said he will watch cartoons he put on cartoons and started watching them.
Both the elder brothers were bored watching those animated strange voice creatures but seeing the smile on face of little one they kept quiet.
Kunj was engrossed in cartoons but was brought out to reality by Manik loud voice.
Manik was smiling looking at Kunj lost in the world of cartoon but his smile turned into frown when he noticed few cut marks on his hand above the wrist and below the elbow.
Manik- What the hell??
Abhi and Kunj looked at Manik on hearing his loud voice.
Abhi- What happened Manik? Are you ok?
Manik looked at Abhi and then again looked at Kunj. Kunj looked down to avoid the constant stare of Manik on him.
Manik was sure he they were cuts. He had many questions in mind and many emotions .
Abhi- Manik baccha kya hua?
Manik- Bhai aap se baat karni hai. please mete saath chalo.
Abhi just nodded and got up followed by Manik. Kunj was getting up to go to his room but Abhi stopped him.
Abhi- Kunj its ok you can keep on watching. Switch it off after this cartoon get over.
Kunj got happy and saying a quick thank you sat down to watch cartoon while the other two left for study.

In study
Abhi- Haan baccha kya hua??
Manik- Bhai... bhai wo Kunj.. Kunj ke hand par cuts hai.
Abhi- Cuts hain matlab??
Manik- Bhai I saw on his hand there were two or three slashes wound on his hand.
Abhi- Hmm.. Maybe he got hurt and we didn't notice that time as we hardly noticed him.
At the end his voice got soft and filled with guilt.
Manik heard it and sadly just nodded but his mind said it was more than mere wound you get while playing.
Manik- Bhai I think we shall check his hands.. I don't know why but my mind is screaming that he self harm.
This got Abhi attention.
Abhi- What do you mean by self harm?
Manik- Bhai I am confused I am not sure but those cuts... I think we shall check.
Abhi- He is just 10.. Why will he harm himself?
Manik- I don't know..
Manik was on the verge of crying.
Manik- Bhai if he is self harming then I will never be able to forgive myself. Due to my hatred towards mom I ignored and punished an innocent child. I will never be able to forgive myself if he is self harming.
Now Manik was crying. Abhi hugged him and calmed him down. Abhi was also broken but was strong for his brother.
Abhi- I know baccha even I did wrong punishing him for something he never did. Even I can't forgive myself for all that but we can make it better for him now. Let us check his cuts first. If he is self harming then we will make him stop and we will love him and care for him so that in future he will not do any such thing. We will be there for him from now onwards. He will have his elder brothers now. He will live and enjoy his childhood from now onwards. We can't change the past and staying in guilt will not be a solution.
Manik- Yes bhai from now onwards we will love and care for him. we will never ever punish him.
Abhi- No my dear baccha we will punish him if and only if required. Just like dad use to do or I do to you. We have to be his guardian and teach him right and wrong. In order to remove our guilt for what we did we cannot end up making him a spoilt brat.
Manik laughed at his brother going into dad mode for the youngest brother also.
Abhi- Now let us call Kunj and check his cuts. It is a long day and only half is gone..Don't know what all is in the store for us.

Comment and vote please