31 /| a quitter

thirty-one

*•.*

LONDON

"STEVE?" Geneva asked, walking back into the hotel room, her heels silent against the carpeted floor. The room was nice, and she'd be glad not to have to see the inside of it again after Peggy Carter's funeral. She and Steve hadn't said much in this room, and that was okay. After a few more steps, Steve came into view. He was still seated where she'd left him on the bed, dressed in a black suit with his head in his hands. She'd seen him in that position too many times in the past few months. She stood in front of him, her dark dress skimming her knees. "Baby, you said you'd be right behind me."

Silence and then he shuffled to his feet, still taller than her despite her shoes. There were no tears on his face, there was nothing there really, except for a pair of blue eyes and a small frown. "Yeah. Sorry."

She shook her head, not used to braids not skimming her face with the motion. She'd traded the hairstyle for a low bun, her hair flat against her head, not a strand out of place.

Geneva silently and gently took his hand and didn't let go until they had to separate at the cathedral. She and Sam had made their way to the pews and after serving as a pallbearer so did Steve. The choir had quieted by then.

He gripped her hand tightly throughout the entire funeral, his tears drying toward the end. Geneva had seen the surprise in his face when he'd seen Sharon Carter step up to the pulpit. He hadn't known that Peggy Carter's niece had been his next door neighbor for about a year. Geneva had guessed that the woman hadn't really been at the forefront of his mind these past few years, and that was understandable. The woman spoke highly of her aunt, only solidifying how admirable she was.

When it was all over, Geneva found herself alone in the hotel. Steve had needed some time at the church and, though she was hesitant, she gave it to him.

She'd jumped when her phone shrilled with a call from Natasha. "I went to see Steve," the woman began without greeting.

"You were here? In London?"

"Briefly," she said. Geneva turned on the television, immediately flicking to a channel that was covering the Accords signing. "I'm calling to ask you to reconsider, Genny."

"Oh, don't 'Genny' me, Natasha," she reprimanded. "I should be trying to get you to reconsider, but I know better." She let out a breath. "Even if I wanted to sign, I wouldn't do it without an apology from Ross." She just couldn't fathom how he could form his mouth to practically blame incidents like New York and Washington on them.

"You're too damn stubborn sometimes, Geneva," Natasha said hopelessly, and she hung up.

Later the woman appeared briefly on the television, her dark purple suit and vibrant hair flashing across the screen.

"Ms. Natasha Romanoff, Black Widow to most," a reporter immediately began, "seems to be missing her partner in justice, Geneva Blake, or Virulent. Many believed that after the events at Capitol Hill they were in fact partners in crime. With her missing, the chances of a repeat are slim—"

Agitatedly, Geneva turned the television off and wandered off to change out of her dress. The signing could wait.

°°°

Later when Sam called and told her to put on the news, she did so quickly, the urgency in his voice undeniable. Her mouth fell open at the scene unfolding on the screen.

She only shut it when Steve, Sam, and Sharon moved quickly into the room, none of them taking a seat next to her, but standing behind the sofa. Sharon immediately took a phone call and promptly began to pace as she spoke quickly. "C.I.A.," she mouthed to Geneva. Good for her, she thought distantly. The thought at the forefront of her mind was much more consuming.

The UN had been bombed.

Natasha had texted her a quick message letting her know she was fine, and that really wasn't enough, but it had to be for now. She listened to the reporter intently now. "More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier."

There, on the screen, was a clear photo of the Winter Soldier, and she'd be damned if she claimed that his face didn't make her a bit unnerved. Yet, she knew that somewhere, she'd always have sympathy for him. Now, she wasn't sure what to feel, not yet anyway.

When Sharon left for work, both Geneva and Sam looked to Steve, as it was clear that he would not be able to sit this one out. "I've gotta bring him in," he murmured, looking to Geneva.

"I know," she said standing. She took in his suit, now ruffled with movement. "But you just went to a funeral and I don't think you should just jump—"

"You're right. I just went to a funeral, and I would rather not have to go to another," he replied, and she knew that he was referring to Bucky's. Although his blue eyes were pleading with her to understand, his words came out slightly sharp.

Geneva sighed, rubbing her hands over her jeans. "Fair enough." Her voice was reluctant, though. "So, Vienna first?"

"Yes. You aren't doing this with us, though," he said quickly. She distantly registered Sam slipping out of the room.

"How come?" She asked seriously. The words were almost like a challenge as they left her lips. The words, give me one good reason, were hidden there too.

He studied her for a moment, his eyes searching her face. "If things go south, I need you on the outside, Geneva."

"If things go south with you, the first person they'll be looking to is me," she let out, with a shake of her head. Her being on the outside wouldn't help if they were tracking her every move. She deepened her voice in a mocking way, "'Ms. Blake, do you know why Captain Rogers has gone rogue? Given your colorful history, do you believe you've influenced his recent decisions? Did you aid him in his recent escapades?'"

"And you'll deny it all then say you don't even know what country I'm in."

She didn't say anything to that. She looked at him, frustration swimming in her blood, but then she remembered Natasha's words. You're too damn stubborn sometimes. The red head had been right of course, but maybe she was wrong to be stubborn in this moment. She bit her tongue, in both senses of the phrase. "You know what? Do what you've gotta do, Steve. I'll be around." A look of surprise briefly came to his face. He opened his mouth, but she held up her hand. "Don't say anything, 'cause I know I'll change my mind."

thanks for reading! -syd

thanks for reading!
-syd