13 /| strike three, you're out

t h i r t e e n

*•.*

"WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?" Geneva questioned from where she laid on the dark training room mat.

"That was you getting your ass handed to you my friend," Clint let out triumphantly, as he dug his heel further into her chest.

Geneva rolled her eyes, hooking an arm behind his leg, making him stagger for a second. She jumped lightly to her feet. "Clint, you haven't handed me a damn thing." She paused, listening for a moment. "I'm talking about that noise."

There was booming music coming from the floor below them; Tony's lab.

"JARVIS, can you please tell Tony to turn that down just a little?" Geneva asked into the room. The AI replied instantly assuring her that he would. Seconds later the music went to a respectable volume. Suddenly, Clint's phone rang.

Geneva watched him as he jogged to answer it. He looked at his phone. "I've got to take this."

Gen wondered who it was, but didn't question him. "We can call it a day."

He threw up a peace sign, as he exited the training room.

Geneva turned away from the door, letting her mind wander. She felt something though, and her hand immediately went to the knife at her belt. She wrapped it in her left hand, and turned, pressing it against the throat of the person behind her. When her eyes met a pair of blue ones, she let the knife clang to the ground. "You scared me."

"You didn't look too scared," Steve said with raised eyebrows, his expression was, unsurprisingly, unaffected. "You carry a knife?" He bent down to pick it up, twirling it lightly in his hand. The black handle glinted under the white light of the room.

"I trust you all, if that's what you're asking. I just can't find it in me to let all my old habits go." Not to mention, the many people who worked in this building who she did not know. Geneva could never be too sure. She was good at reading people, but she hadn't been able to see through the people who were actually HYDRA hidden in SHIELD. Maybe she'd felt a little uneasy before the "death" of Nick, but she hadn't really suspected that it was faked.

And no, as much as she hated to admit it, she had no idea Rumlow was working against them until the last second. She didn't like him, but she didn't like too many people anyway. Maybe she was hard at trusting.

Geneva plucked the knife from his hands with a smile. "Why are you sneaking up on me?"

"Not sneaking, just observing."

Geneva gave him a look. "Well since you're here, you can help me with knives."

Steve's brows raised once again. "You need help?"

"Well sure. I'm learning new things." She moved to the various mock weapons to the left of the training room. "I'll use a fake one don't worry."

"What do you need me to do?"

Geneva moved to stand before him. "Try to disarm me, that's all."

"Isn't this the first thing you learned all those years ago?"

"No. First thing I learned was to forget my emotions. Pretend they didn't exist." She said, her voice cooler than she'd intended.

"Sorry," he let out quickly, but she was already shaking her head.

"Don't be." She pretended to stab his shoulder. "One."

Steve lightly pushed her hand away. "That didn't count."