5 /| zero sum

f i v e

*•.*

GENEVA RUBBED AT HER TIRED EYES. The woman was ready for this whole thing to be over. She'd already decided that she would be resigning from SHIELD and taking Tony up on his offer to live in the tower. It seemed like the only sane option now and one she didn't find trouble choosing. As the three walked in what used to not only be a place Steve trained in back in the 40s, but also where SHIELD seemingly began, Gen could see an obvious strain in his eyes.

The place had obviously been abandoned a long time ago, the cobwebs and dust were a dead giveaway. Geneva studied a few pieces of paper that were utterly meaningless to the situation at hand.

"There's Stark's father," Natasha said, grabbing her attention. She moved to stand before the three framed pictures, along with Steve and Nat. She recognized the faces, from the Smithsonian unsurprisingly, and SHIELD files of course.

Steve stared at the pictures, maybe one in particular. "Howard," he muttered simply.

"Who's the girl?" Natasha asked him. He stared for a moment more before turning away and walking further into the room.

Geneva shot her a look. "Peggy Carter. She started SHIELD, she's very admirable. Steve knew her, he told me so. I think he loved her. Loves her maybe."

Natasha tilted her head, a smirk playing on her lips. "Look at you, sounding sympathetic."

Geneva rolled her eyes and simply walked to where Steve stood in front of a bookshelf. The woman immediately understood what got his attention. "Is that a draft?" Steve nodded.

"If you're already working in a secret office—" he paused, pushing the shelf aside, revealing an elevator. "Why do you need to hide the elevator?"

"And the secrets never stop," Geneva murmured, following Steve into the little area around the elevator. Natasha was close behind, quickly using her phone to decipher the passcode for the machine.

Silently they rode down, the elevator squeaking as it descended further. After a minute or so they were let off at a room filled with old computers. Something felt extremely off, and that feeling was becoming common for Gen these days. The lights flickered on as they walked.

Dust covered everything. Geneva had to suppress an oncoming sneeze at the sight of it all. They moved deeper into the room, stopping at the computer at the center of it all.

"This can't be the data-point," Natasha said observing the room. "This technology is ancient."

Geneva pointed at the USB port on the desktop. "That's not old." In fact, it had to have been placed there recently.

Natasha moved to it, and placed the flash drive into the port. Instantly everything around them powered on, including the computer right before them. Geneva squinted at the old camera as it began to move. It was almost as if it was watching them—studying them.

"Initiate system?" The computer asked.

Natasha was the one to move. "Y-E-S, spells yes," she said, typing in the word. She made a movie reference and attempted to explain it to Steve but Gen interrupted her.

"Let's make this quick Natty. Didn't you say that thing gave them the ability to track us?"

The red head nodded as the computer began to speak. "Rogers, Steven. Born, 1918. Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born, 1984. Blake, Geneva Anne. Born, 1985." Gen felt Steve's eyes dart to her, but she did not spare him a glance. She stared at the screen, noticing a very faintly outlined face.