6 /| conversation

s i x

*•.

GENEVA'S EYES BURNED AS SHE FORCED THEM OPEN. The sun was peaking through a set of closed blinds, and was reflecting off of the blue walls. Gen had no idea where she was, or where her friends were, and that scared her a little more than the former. It took her a moment to remember what happened in New Jersey, and that fear was suddenly muffled by a sense of anger. Anger at SHIELD, at HYDRA, and an anger on behalf of Steve.

Slowly she sat up, a faint wave of dizziness washing over her, but only for a second. Gen examined her right pant leg, which had been cut to the knee and replaced with bandages. She could feel it now, a growing pain there. Her eyes darted around the room. The door was cracked open and on the bedside table was an unopened bottle of water and a white pill bottle labeled Ibuprofen. She wasn't going to take them, not yet at least.

She heard the floor creaking outside in the hall, and called 'hey', in an attempt to catch the person's attention. Whoever it was came to the door quickly, lightly pushing it open. The man was not someone she recognized, making her go on the defense instantly. His dark skin glistened in the sun and his eyes widened as he saw her awake.

"Who are you, 'cause I swear I'll drop kick you before you ever lay a hand on me," Geneva said without humor. She would work around the injury as she'd been taught to do. Yet, she would not dive into a fight without explanation or being provoked. That was not something she did unless the situation was dire.

The man chuckled slightly, but he seemed to be aware that she meant what she said. "Sam Wilson. Cap and Natasha are eating breakfast. Practically had to force him to leave you."

The man seemed genuine, truly, but Geneva couldn't let him off so easily. She brought her legs over the side of the bed, albeit a little painfully. "I don't believe you Sammy," she replied through gritted teeth.

He nodded. "In that case, I'll tell Steve you're awake." Sam left without another word, and she hobbled onto two feet with a wince.

Suddenly, she could hear quick footsteps in the hallway, and she was met with those blue eyes that sent waves of relief down her spine. Gen sighed sitting down, his eyes following her motions. Neither said anything for a moment, but then he spoke, pointing at the bedside table.

"Why didn't you take it?"

"Precautions," she replied, leaning back and taking the pills in her hand. She popped two in her mouth and proceeded to use the water to down them. "Where are we? What happened to my leg?"

His grey shirt tightened over his chest as he moved to sit next to her. "Back in D.C. You got cut by something, it wasn't too deep. Natasha cleaned it and stitched you up. You should probably see a doctor soon, to make sure—"

"Are you alright Steve?" She asked, interrupting him. He met her gaze full on, nodding slightly. She noticed that he did that a lot, especially when he was trying to make her see something his way. Gen turned away.

In the corner of her eye she saw him smile, albeit a little sadly. "I'm fine Geneva."

"Even after finding out HYDRA still exists? Zola basically said you died for nothing."

"I was angry, you saw it for yourself," he said pausing, but only for a second. "But I've got another chance so I'm gonna fight. I want you to help me."

Her eyebrows raised, and she took a deep breath. "What are we fighting Steve?"

"HYDRA and SHIELD if we have to, but first," he said standing up, "we have to catch you up."