2 /| trust

t w o

*•.*

GENEVA STARED BLANKLY INTO THE OPERATING ROOM. The tears were becoming harder to hold back and no matter how hard she gripped onto Steve's hand, her nerves wouldn't calm. She pulled away from him to put her head in her hands. She didn't notice how his eyes darted to her in worry before returning to the glass.

"Is he gonna make it?" Natasha asked, suddenly appearing beside Gen. The brunette shrugged while Steve replied with a simple 'I don't know'.

Natasha's voice shook. "Tell me about the shooter."

Steve took a breath. "He's fast and strong. Had a metal arm."

"Do you think it's him?" Geneva asked quietly, directing her question to Natasha, though she already knew the answer. Nat's glossy eyes met Geneva's and the look they shared was answer enough.

A moment later, a visibly shaken Maria entered the room. Geneva liked the woman, and seeing her in this state made everything feel so much more real.

"Ballistics?" Natasha questioned, moving closer to the window.

"Three slugs, no rifling. Completely untraceable," Maria answered slowly, her eyes never leaving the operating room.

Geneva's eyes met Natasha's once more, then they both turned back to the glass. "Soviet-made," they said simultaneously. Geneva had worked with Natasha long enough to know where her train of thought was leading. Still, Geneva knew that the man they were thinking of was practically a ghost. She never wanted to have to meet the man who was possibly a better assassin than both she and Natasha combined.

The sudden flatline that began to emit from the room pulled Geneva from her thoughts. The woman's heart dropped as the doctors' attempts to revive Fury continuously failed. Her blood rushed to her ears the moment his time of death was called.

She hadn't experienced a death of anyone close to her in years, and the fact that she was speaking to Nick only hours ago was harder for her to handle than it should've been.

A warm hand touched her faux leather covered shoulder. "Breathe Geneva," Steve commanded softly. She let out a breath she'd wrongly assumed she'd already gotten rid of. "They're gonna let us see the body—"

Gen immediately began shaking her head, hair flying around her face. She could feel her brown skin paling. "I can't go in there. I can't." Considering her past and current job, in this moment she felt extremely weak. She knew her limits and seeing Nick's lifeless body was well beyond what she could handle. "You go." For a moment his cerulean colored eyes gazed into hers. There were so many questions there, but with a simple shake of her head, he let it go. At least for now.

Silently she moved into the semi-crowded hallway, and awaited for her tears to fall but they didn't. Earlier she'd been holding tears back in anticipation, now she couldn't even let them out. She moved closer to the exit of the hospital and away from the man stocking the vending machine.

There was a tap on her shoulder. Rumlow stood behind her, waiting for acknowledgement. "They need you back at SHIELD," he said after a second.

Geneva instinctively wiped at her invisible tears. "Too bad. I'm not going." There was no way she was going back there if Nick Fury wasn't running the organization. He was the only one she trusted to run that place. She noted how Rumlow's jaw ticked at her words.