27 /| changing subjects

twenty-seven

*•*.

"HE'S DEAD," Geneva said, as she slid into Natasha's and Steve's booth. The two stared wordlessly. She breathed in deeply, warming her lungs against the cold December air. She took one look at Steve's plate of uneaten food and slid it over to herself. He gingerly handed her a fork.

She ate the eggs first, her movements sluggish. "Did you—" Steve began.

"No, I didn't do it." She didn't elaborate, ignoring the feeling in her chest.

She continued eating.

"Then why do you look guilty," Natasha asked, lazily sipping from her mug.

Brown eyes met green. They shared a long look, challenging the other. "Because I am," she said finally, her eyes falling to the table. The worn wood had seen many years. It made her wonder just how many people sat there in that diner. "I thought I could bring him in. Not this time."

She gripped her fork tightly in her hand. It was almost as if she could still feel his eyes on her skin, feel his words burrowing their way into every corner of her mind.

Natasha hummed. "You're turning green."

"It's the eggs," she lied, stabbing the food with her utensil. "He killed my mother." Geneva shifted in her coat. "But I assumed as much."

Steve reached over the table, his hand warm on her wrist. "Geneva..." His voice trailed off. She looked at him. Both sadness and confusion floated in the sea of his eyes.

"I'm fine. Like I said: he's dead." His hand fell. She looked at Nat. "Can you pass the syrup?"

"No. Was he already dead when you got there?"

"Obviously not. He told me the Winter Soldier killed Howard and Maria Stark." Silence. She didn't have to look up from her plate. "You two knew."

"Please Geneva. If you would've read SHIELD's files—"

She interrupted Natasha. "Excuse me if I couldn't find the time to look through a bunch of encrypted bullshit. But just because I couldn't find the time doesn't mean someone else won't." Louis had. Geneva sucked her teeth. "When Tony finds out, you're going to be the bad guy Steve."

He sat up straighter. "I'll deal with it if it ever comes to that."

"Sounds like a plan." Geneva frowned. "And what about when Tony goes after Barnes and you have to pick a side?"

Steve narrowed his eyes. "That won't happen."

"I hope you're right," she said sincerely. "For all our sakes."

"You're upset," Natasha stated.

"No," Geneva let out. "I just want you to pass the damn syrup."

Natasha's jaw ticked, but nevertheless, she passed the syrup. Geneva cut into the nearly cooled pancakes, forcing the pieces into her mouth.

She watched as Steve abruptly stood. "Please get up, Geneva."

"I'm eating," she answered around her food.

"Get. Up." She measured the soft seriousness in his voice, then reluctantly stood, swallowing the pancakes.

"I'll be here," Nat said dryly. Geneva would have to apologize later.