21 /| not today

t w e n t y - o n e

*•.*

SOKOVIA

STEVE ROGERS NEVER FAILED TO GIVE A GOOD SPEECH. His words fueled her on as she directed the people of Sokovia away from the growing number of Ultron's bots.

Protect them. Keep the fight between us.

She ducked behind a car as a robot shot a beam of energy her way. "Go," Geneva yelled to the panicking people as she stood again. "Run." She threw her electric baton into the back of one of the bots advancing on a group of civilians. Then Geneva ran, bounding off the hood of a car and onto its back, stabbing it's neck with her other baton. She retrieved her weapons. They weren't her favorite, but she'd trained with every weapon she could, including these ones, for this exact reason. The group dispersed running with the rest of the crowd.

Geneva moved on to another one, but the ground beneath her shook. She almost lost her balance as she looked around. Clint, Wanda, and Olten were nowhere in sight, but she saw Steve ripping a bot apart before he abruptly stopped. She ran to him.

The city was rising up from the earth. Geneva watched stunned, so did Steve. The ground was crumbling away. Geneva hated to think about the other edges of the city, which weren't clear of people.

Steve didn't even bother turning around as he punched a robot in the face, making it fall to the ground. Gen did, however, turn and duck, stabbing it through its chest with her baton. Its light dimmed, and right before she stood a group of flew up and above the city. One of them picked up Steve and carried him yards away, dropping him onto a car.

"Cap, Blake you got incoming," Tony warned through the comms.

"Incoming already came in," Steve replied, his voice strained. Geneva hurried off the bridge afraid to be anywhere near the edge any longer. "Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job: tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed, walk it off."

"That was very moving," Geneva said, sarcasm flooding into her voice.

Olten let out a cry. "These things just get angrier when I burn them."

"Then turn up the heat kid," Tony told him.

Geneva watched as buildings crumbled, barely missing civilians as they ran with no place to run. Just then a group of Ultron's minions formed a semi-circle around her. There were five and she was outnumbered. "Um, I'm in desperate need of back up," she said, pulling her batons from her sides. A baton nearly identical to hers sank through the chest of one of the bots. "It's about damn time."

Geneva stabbed the robot nearest her and threw her baton into the next one while Natasha worked on another one. Together they took out the last one, Natasha holding its arm while Geneva used both her legs to kick its chest. She fell onto her back, groaning. Gen stood to face her friend. "I thought you were gone," the redhead muttered. "You hit the water and you didn't come back up."

"You're one to talk. I came back up and you weren't there."

"Well—" A truck exploded behind them. "It looks like we're missing the fight," she finished. They shared a smile before running into the thick of it.

Geneva let out a tired breath as she handed Steve his shield. The air was dusty. They ushered civilians into a building while Ultron's bots had temporarily fallen back. At least these people would be out of the line of fire.

"The next wave's gonna hit any minute," Steve began. They moved to where Nat stood. "What have you got, Stark?"

Tony's voice was solemn when he spoke. "Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear."