9 /| late to the party

n i n e

*•.*

GENEVA SMILED AS STEVE'S VOICE RANG OVER THE SHIELD intercoms. The level of inspiration and authority he held was unrivaled. She sat in one of the control rooms filled with HYDRA agents, undetected. She had SHIELD's tech to thank. "I know I'm asking a lot," Steve continued, "but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." Geneva looked over to one of the men who had the power to launch the helicarriers. She probably wouldn't be able to stop the launch, she'd be shot immediately.

She began to speak to the man, but Rumlow beat her to it. "Preempt the launch sequence. Send those ships up now," he demanded, but the tech guy hesitated. "Is there a problem?"

Geneva's hand moved to the gun at her waist, watching as the worker shook his head, nervousness radiating off of him.

"Is there a problem?" Rumlow repeated, anger evident in his tone.

"I'm sorry, sir." The man paused, his breathing shallow. "I'm not gonna launch those ships. Captain's orders."

Rumlow pulled a gun on him, pointing it at the man's head. "Move away from your station," he shouted.

Geneva stood immediately, aiming her gun directly at Rumlow's head. "You heard what the man said Brock," she snarled, finger on the trigger. She pulled off her disguise. Sharon was suddenly on his other side, her gun drawn. Everyone else followed suit.

Sharon stared at Rumlow. "Captain's orders."

"You picked the wrong side, Agent," he said, pressing his gun to the man's head.

Sharon tilted her head. "Depends on where you're standing."

"I should've killed you a long time ago Blake," he let out, dropping his gun. Seconds later he grabbed a knife, cutting Sharon and trying to do the same to Geneva, but she shot his arm before diving to the floor. Everyone began shooting. Sharon kicked the tech guy to the floor and Geneva proceeded to shove him under the table.

She kicked Rumlow in his midsection, causing him to stumble, she then threw a punch at him. Hunched over, she went to the computer. "You're too late," he laughed. He was right, there was no way to override it from here. Who ever programmed it was a genius, but somehow she could halt the helicarriers but only for minute intervals.

She spoke into her comms. "They're almost in the air, I can only give you a few minutes. Cap, Sam it's all you."

Geneva turned around, but found that Rumlow was making his way out of the room. Without hesitation she ran after him, but was tackled by another HYDRA agent.  The man was using all of his weight to keep her down, her arms were trapped underneath her body.

She forced her head back, slamming it into his, successfully immobilizing him. Her eyes blurred for a moment.His weight was still too much, so when he moved most of it to one side of his body (tending to his nose most likely) she took her exit, shooting the man in his legs. Gen hopped to her feet, going in the direction same direction as Rumlow, but Natasha's next words halted her.

"1985 was such a long time ago," the redhead said smoothly.

She was compromised. The words, which first came about as a joke between the two women, had been a used a handful of times over the years. They'd mention each other's birth years to signal that they needed the other's help.

Rumlow would have to wait another day. Geneva took off in the direction of the conference room and didn't stop, even when she was attacked. She took them down and kept it pushing.