22 /| new home & new avengers

twenty-two

*•.*

THEY BURIED PIETRO MAXIMOFF A FEW DAYS LATER. Wanda had been so grief-stricken that she could hardly get out of bed that day. Olten had somehow been able to get through to her. He was by her side the whole time.

They'd been closer than Geneva realized. More so friends than Olten let on.

Clint left after that, taking Wanda with him. She needed the time away.

She came back alone a few weeks later. This was not surprising though. Clint had decided to retire.

They'd moved out of the tower and into a more practical compound. Though they no longer had their own floors, it felt homier in a sense. Sam moved in too, finally accepting Steve's offer to be on the team.

Tony and Thor left soon after he came. Bruce had gone missing back in Sokovia, but, much to Natasha's dismay, it seemed he didn't want to be found.

Steve, Geneva, and Natasha were the only ones left of the original team, so it was up to them to make a team out of their new recruits: Sam, Vision, Rhodey, Wanda, and Olten. It was easier than it sounded. The hardest part was getting Wanda and Olten in shape, and getting them to ditch their accents. They both weren't completely comfortable with their powers, but they had time.

Neither of them were legally allowed in the United States, as the news continued to point out. They were dangers to the free world, weapons of destruction. Some people thought the Avengers belonged in jail cells, or at least that they should be prosecuted for the events in Sokovia. Geneva couldn't say that those people were wrong because the Avengers were at fault here.

She didn't want to be prosecuted, but unlike the Battle of New York, Sokovia could've been avoided; that was the truth.

No one had to die that day, but they couldn't save everyone. That was also the truth.

°°°

"YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF ME," Geneva said with a smile as she sat next to Steve on the soft grass outside the compound.

He smiled too, his blue eyes brightened by the moonlight. "Because you kept my secret?"

"Yes," she laughed. "It's been killing me all day." She looked back at some of their friends who were a little ways away from them. Vision looked slightly out of place with his red skin but he was smiling at something Wanda said. The girl held up a sparkler and Olten lit it for her. She had the two wrapped around her finger, and it didn't look like she realized it. Natasha and Sam were a little bit further, laughing together as they put more food on their plates.

"Well the good news is, the day's almost over." He slid a hand into hers. "Thanks again for the gift. You didn't have to get me one."

"It was just a sketchbook. Regardless, my motives were purely selfish," she joked. "Now I want you to draw me like one of your french girls." When he didn't say anything, she looked up. "It's from the movie—"

"Titanic," he finished, looking at her intently. "I've drawn you plenty of times already."

Despite being flattered, Geneva raised an eyebrow in question. "Oh?"

"Not in a weird way of course—just small sketches here and there," he slightly rambled.

She turned back to the stars, her heart beating a little quicker. "You should show me some time." Steve stayed silent, but she could feel his eyes lingering on her face. "You really shouldn't stare," Gen murmured, turning her body to face him again.

"You're right," he said still not looking away.

She lifted a hand, gently placing it on his cheek. His skin was warmer than hers. This contact was what she'd needed for a long time. His eyes unapologetically darted down to her lips. He began to lean down, but Geneva's words stopped him. "I didn't think Captain America would be one for PDA."

"I'm not," Steve said, smiling. The corners of his eyes crinkled. He was undoubtedly enjoying this moment.

Her hand slid to the nape of his neck, where she could feel his soft hair. "You're still gonna—"

"I am," he said cutting her off and connecting their lips. Her eyes fluttered close. His lips were warm against hers, and, like she'd said a few years ago, he knew what he was doing. All the sounds of their friends' laughter faded away. He was the only thing invading her senses and making her heart beat uncontrollably. She was sure he could feel it because she could feel his quick heart as he deepened the kiss.

This is what she'd longed for even before she'd known it. She could feel the stars themselves in her veins, leaving her alight with wanting. It was different this time because every feeling they had for the other was known and mutual.

They pulled away, breathless. She let her middle finger rise at the whoops from Sam and the laughs from Natasha.

"You're really good at that, y'know?" Steve breathed, his forehead resting against hers. Geneva laughed, a wide smile coming to her face. She pulled completely away so that they were no longer sharing the same breath.

"Always the flatterer," she mumbled.

His eyes were darker than before, but he smiled too. "We should go out some time."

"Maybe stay in." She put her head on his shoulder.

"Whatever you want doll."

Yeah, she was definitely a goner.

*•.*