1 /| captain

o n e

2014

"DID FURY ASSIGN YOU ONTO THE MISSION TONIGHT?" Natasha asked a very bored Geneva. The two were having lunch at a small café near SHIELD headquarters and Geneva was definitely not dressed for the occasion. Her orange and black leather jacket was adding on to the heat of the day, which was unusually uneventful for the woman.

"Yes he did, but I declined," she replied nonchalantly. She ran a hand through her short brown locks. "Do you think I should cut my hair? Maybe go blonde?" She examined her reflection in the metal napkin dispenser. Her brown skin shone in the sunlight, and her dark eyes were beyond tired, but lack of sleep was only somewhat to blame.

Natasha narrowed her eyes. "Yeah, go for it. You and Steve would be twins," the redhead let out bluntly. Geneva rolled her eyes at her friend's words, and muttered a hurt rude under her breath. "Did I just hear you correctly? You declined a mission?" Nat pushed aside her empty plate as she waited for an explanation.

The dark haired woman nodded. "Unlike you, I don't need to keep up appearances. Fury knows that I know he's doing some shady shit right underneath our noses Nat. He doesn't care though." She tended to get a little carried away with the conspiracies but with good reason. Geneva stretched out her jean clad legs below the table. "You, on the other hand, pretend not to know or just don't care. I turn down missions like these because I'm not up for the games anymore."

Natasha shot her a not-so-happy smirk. "That or you just don't want Cap to find out about our past missions Genny."

Geneva shrugged. "Maybe. Probably not," she began. "He does have a point though. SHIELD is filled with liars." She might've been one of them.

"I know. Believe me, I do." Natasha swiftly put a twenty dollar bill on the table before standing up. "I have to go pick up Steve. I'll tell him you said hi."

Geneva nodded, giving her a small smile. She considered herself friends with Steve, but he was understandably hard at trusting. Steve was the type of person you couldn't help but trust. Geneva, not so much. She knew that Steve wouldn't necessarily judge her because of her past, but she also knew that the facts would forever linger in his mind. She would always be the woman who'd committed too many wrongs.

Geneva was not looking for redemption; that wasn't something she could achieve nor was it something she needed. She just wanted people to get to know her before they started assuming the worst. Despite all the things she'd done, Geneva was a good person who tried her hardest to be better everyday; for herself. Being an Avenger was not something any of the seven actually spoke about aloud, but it wasn't something they could run from or something that they wanted to run from either.

°°°

Geneva watched as an awkward Steve made an attempt at small talk with Agent 13. Steve didn't know that the woman was undercover and under orders from Fury himself, and Gen wouldn't be the one to tell him. Patiently she leaned next to his door. When he turned around, his face was serious and he didn't greet her with his usual smile, but instead with a finger to his lips, signaling for her to be silent. Steve made a gesture for her to follow him. They ducked out of the window and proceeded to enter his apartment from the side window. Her hand hovered over the gun at her waist as the two made sure the area was cleared. Geneva watched as Steve swiftly picked up his strategically placed shield.

Music, that was definitely from Steve's time, blared throughout the apartment. Geneva's eyes widened as she saw who the culprit was. Sitting in the dark of Steve's home was, an obviously uninvited, Nick Fury.

"I don't remember giving you a key," Steve said from halfway behind a wall. He sighed, and she felt his defensive state lower, but only slightly. Geneva could gather that something wasn't right. Still, she kept her mouth shut.

Fury groaned as he sat up in his seat. "You really think I'd need one? My wife kicked me out." He was lying, Geneva knew that. Nick didn't have time for a wife, and if he did, he'd never say it so out in the open.

"Didn't know you were married," Steve replied.

Her hand still hovered over the gun strapped at her waist. "A lot of things you don't about me."

"I know, Nick," Steve began, moving to flick on the lights. "That's the problem." Nick's injuries shone in the light, sending a chill down Geneva's spine. She had to restrain herself from moving and assessing his situation. She'd never seen Fury like that. Ever. He turned off the light, returning them to darkness.

He made a gesture for the two to stay silent before typing something into his phone. Ears everywhere, it read. "I'm sorry to have to do this, but I had no place else to crash." SHIELD compromised. Geneva's eyebrows furrowed. That isn't what she expected. In that moment she realized that all the 'shady shit' was because Nick knew. Nick knew that SHIELD was slowly being overrun.

Steve's eyes darted around the room before landing on Nick's. "Who else knows about your wife?" Just us. He rose from his seat, gripping onto his side.

"Just...my friends."

Steve tilted his head in question. "Is that what we are?"

"That's news to me," Geneva muttered, her hand finally leaving her gun.

"That's up to you," Nick said in reply to Steve. Suddenly three bullets emerged from the wall and hit Fury directly in his chest. Geneva ducked for a second and proceeded to point her gun in anticipation, but nothing came. She noted how Steve's eyes darted to the window before pulling Fury into the next room.

Gen followed the two and assessed Nick's injuries. The man's breathing was shallow and dark blood was seeping onto Steve's floor. The wounds were concentrated on Nick's chest. "Stay with him," Cap told her, receiving a short nod in response.

When he turned around Fury stopped him, and quickly gave him a hard drive. "Don't trust anyone," the injured man forced out, before losing consciousness.

"Agent Blake? Captain Rogers?" A familiar voice called into the home. "Captain, I'm Agent 13 of SHIELD Special Service."

Geneva didn't bother to look up as she applied pressure to one of Nick's wounds. "He's not responding Sharon. We need EMTs."

The blonde repeated those words into her radio. "Do you have a twenty on the shooter?" The person on the other side of the radio questioned.

"Tell him I'm in pursuit," Steve said before taking off. The man smashed through a window and was gone from Geneva's sight. She had to admit that this whole situation was making her extremely nervous. Nick Fury always seemed untouchable but here he was: dying.

"He's gonna make it right?" Geneva's voice shook slightly. Sharon dropped to the floor next to her and mimicked her actions.

Yet, never did she answer the question.

author's note//
and that's the first chapter! thanks for reading.

-syd