11 /| switzerland

e l e v e n

*•.*

IT'D BEEN TWO SHORT MONTHS SINCE THE FALL OF SHIELD. Things were uneventful to say the least. Geneva and Natasha had gotten everything they'd needed done within the first week of leaving that graveyard.

Gen genuinely missed the team. They hadn't spent too much time together as a whole, but the easy dynamic they—eventually—held was something she desired to experience without the fate of the world on the line.

She missed Steve a whole lot more than she expected to. With that being said she'd been religiously ignoring his calls for the past week. Geneva chalked it up to time zones but that was only half of the truth. Being away gave her more time to think about all the things she'd said and had been doing for the past two years. Things had slowed down just enough for her to gain some perspective—to think about how she wanted the rest of her life to be.

That didn't last long, so instead she went to bed.

It was after three a.m. in London when Steve called Geneva. She was fast asleep, and her grogginess from being forced awake made her quickly answer the phone.

"Give me a second," Geneva said into the device, a hand searching for the lamp. The fancy hotel room was instantly illuminated when she flipped the switch. She rubbed the slight irritation in her eyes away, tapping a sleeping Natasha's shoulder from her side of the bed. The redhead tiredly muttered something about already being awake, but Gen had guessed as much from the moment her phone rang.

"I need you two to come in. Loki's scepter is at large and we need all hands on deck," Steve said, his voice serious. He was straight to the point. She suddenly felt bad for not answering, and she wondered if he tried to get a hold of Nat. The redhead's phone was currently smashed into several large pieces.

Geneva yawned, sitting up in the bed. She turned the phone away from her mouth, looking to her friend. "They need us."

Natasha groaned softly upon hearing this. "Tell Steve that we're busy."

Geneva rolled her eyes, getting back to the call. "We'll be there tomorrow," she said.

"Are you two okay out there?" He asked after a moment. Maybe that was his subtle way of asking if there was a serious reason she hadn't answered his calls for the past few days.

"We're fine, vacationing is nice. You should try it sometime."

"Too busy."

"One day wouldn't hurt," she said rubbing at her eyes once more. "July 4th's coming up."

Steve sighed. "If you're trying to make some joke—"

"Why would I joke about your birthday?" She asked, genuinely confused.

There was a short pause. "I didn't realize you knew that."

"I—" Just then Natasha expertly whacked her in the face with one of the hotel's white pillows. Geneva let out a small gasp of surprise, looking to a closed-eyed Nat laying on her side.

"I'm trying to sleep Gen," the redhead murmured, eyes still shut, and expression unapologetic. Geneva was tempted to hit the woman with her pillow in return, but she restrained herself.

"I'll talk to you tomorrow." She hung up the phone, not waiting for a response. "I'm getting you back for that," she let out, but she was sure the woman was already asleep.

°°°

new york