One

It was only nine o'clock in the morning when the top twenty staff members of Metallic Magazine were rounded up in the fifth floor conference room of the company building. The top twenty consisted of editors, directors, stylists, and photographers.

Which was why I was present with a grandè caramel lattee and blueberry scone from Starbucks. As assistant photographer, I didn't necessarily have to be here at all but the urgency of the email that was sent out sparked my interest. Plus I knew Scott Forrester, head photographer, would be running late as usual.

"The line for coffee was ridiculous. I had to settle for some from the cart downstaires." Bianca Gold came next to me and leaned her back on the wall. She was the cover girl for Metallic and had a solid contract, so she was the most important asset in the modeling department. We had been bestfriends since childhood so I never saw her as anything more than the innocent seven year old that loved dolls and freeze tag.

"Glad to see you're alive after last night." I smirked. She shook her head. "How was your time with Romeo?" I didn't even know if that was his name but he was an Italian model that she had met at the penthouse soirée last night.

"My puss took a pounding." She sipped her coffee.

"And we never even made it to the bed. The kitchen counter was our first and final destination." I chuckled at her and shrugged.

"Well at least you got some. Today marks four months for me." Bianca shot me a hurt look and frowned.

"Because Bryan had you all fucked up emotionally and couldn't even satisfy you sexually. That's bullshit." It was true. I'd met Bryan six months prior to us breaking up and although I was never sexually satisfied by him, his personality kept me around. Fifty fake orgasms later, I found out that he had no intentions of making our relationship long term. It was a slap in the face but I vowed to take relationships slow and find someone who could at least give me a real orgasm.

"Alright everyone, good morning!" Bethany Wright waltzed in with her plaid pencil skirt, black crew neck blouse, and black stilettos. She was the assistant to the editor-in-chief of Metallic and almost always had a bubbly and vibrant exterior.

"I have some wonderful news to share so try and stay awake." She grinned. "As you know, the annual gala is fast approaching and we as a team strive to make it the most wonderful fashion event of the summer. In the past we've hosted the gala here in New York, Los Angeles, London, Rome, and Paris. However, this year Milo has been in contact with a very close family who offered their palace for use this year. So we will all be traveling to the beautiful country of Portugal!" Everyone clapped for the exciting news. If I remembered correctly, the only prominent family for fashion in Portugal was the Da Silva's. I was well acquainted with their daughter.

"We urge that you all arrange to leave between Saturday and Monday as there is much work to do and little time. Your flight tickets have already been reserved and all departments were issued credit cards to charge all other expenses." Beth beamed. "So work on as much as possible this week and prepare spreads and portfolios for the trip. Thanks everyone!" She clasped her hands together.

"Best news I've heard all week. I'm leaving on Saturday with you Anna." Bianca said, taking out her iPhone to make arrangements.

"I can't do Saturday, my family is taking me to dinner and a show at Lincoln Center. I'll see you Sunday though." I smiled apologetically. Bianca looked up at me.

"Fine, I'll be alone for a night." She scoffed then turned down the hall to meet a stylist in the wardrobe room.

Just as I headed to my desk outside of Scott's office, he peaked out with his eyebrow cocked.
"What did I miss?" I sat down and leaned forward.

"The gala is in Portugal this year. We have to leave between Saturday and Monday." He cursed under his breath. "I assume you want me there as well?"

"Yes, so put together a small portfolio. Milo said something about a watercolor theme." I nodded.

"Alright, no problem."

"You're the best." He disappeared back into his office.