Five

"Only espresso for you this morning?" Noela asked, coming up next to me as I leaned by the dining atrium's floor to ceiling window and glanced at a page from my portfolio.

"Yeah, I just need a boost to keep me going until lunch."

"Most of the departments are starting work this afternoon. I'm sure you and Scott have more than enough to prepare for." She smiled.

I could tell that Noela's life had been a bit hectic since I'd last seen her. She would barely keep still since we had all arrived which even made me uncomfortable because I was accustom to seeing her live an almost carefree life style back when we interned.

"True, he's always down my damn throat." I rolled my eyes.

"So, how was your night?" I sipped my espresso and nodded uncomfortably.

"Uh, it was-good." To say the least, I thought. I'd been able to sleep after going to the kitchen, but I had to admit that it was a bit odd stumbling upon foreplay acts between two individuals at night in a pantry. But I wouldn't tell Noela this. She already had a hundred things on her mind.

"That's great. Some people were complaining that they heard weird noises from the walls." She chuckled. "What do they expect from an eighteenth century palace?"

"Oh good, I found you Noela!" Beth gleamed wearing her pink sear sucker shorts, a chambray button down, and white Kate Spade flats that matched the headband in her ponytailed hair. Always the burst of color to match her personality.

"Are we starting the grounds tour now?"

"Uh-" Noela checked her gold Milano watch. "Yes, I'll head out now. Annabelle, we'll talk more later." She rushed out with Beth giving me a short wave.

I stepped outside after finishing my espresso and almost immediately regretted wearing a white wrap dress in the strong heat that would surely make sweat noticeable through my attire. Especially since the sun was blaring and beating down on my skin. So now I would have to be weary about this since the tour had shifted to the garden by popular demand.

However, the garden would provide much inspiration for the departments so I couldn't complain too much. Not to mention, it was absolutely stunning from the outside looking in and everyone was curious as to what lied beyond the surface.

"So, you all may not be aware of this but the national flower of Portugal is alfazema, or lavender in English. Here in our garden an entire section is dedicated to the beautiful flower which can be used in cooking as it is in the mint family."

I was pleased to see that the group of us in charge of making sure that the gala ran smoothly was modest in size. However, despite the size, the garden tour would take atleast two hours to complete at this rate. Of course it was beautiful to see how well kept the garden was and even as Noela spoke, gardeners were spread out to assist in the up keep of the huge mass of land. It looked and seemed a lot like the Botanical Gardens that my grandmother loved to take me to in the Bronx a few times every year.

"Okay, now we're heading into the infamous labyrinth." Noela's cousin, Marie, said with an eerie touch. "In it you will find my favorite plant, arruda, and at the core of the labyrinth is a wonderful surprise! Try not to get lost." She grinned. I was too busy trying not to boil up from the sun as we started into the labyrinth and I wished that the tall shrubbery would sheild my skin.

I was also in search of Bianca who was most likely front and center of the group since she loved this botany stuff. Meanwhile, I hung behind a bit and eventually resorted to fanning myself with my photography portfolio.

"Still hot and bothered from what you saw last night?" A deep, though slightly raspy voice said over my shoulder causing me to hiccup from the unexpected presence.

I turned quickly ready to smack the surprise attacker but halted because I recognized the face. His brown hair was waved but cut in a short style and his green eyes were framed by thick lashes. That tight jaw structure bared clean shaven cheeks and full pink lips. He stood at six feet and three inches wearing a dark green v-neck shirt and jeans. I could never forget such a face, but I was taken back by his comment.

"Hot and bothered? Oh no." I shook my head. "And please don't just come up behind me like that again."

"Understood. I can tell you don't respond well to surprises." His accent was defined but not heavy, so he clearly had not come with the Metallic group.

I scoffed at his sarcasm then flipped some hair off of my shoulder.

"Well, I apologize for walking in on you and your girlfriend sir." Mister Handsome Pantry Guy chuckled and shook his head.

"She was not my girlfriend. Just a friend." I cocked my eyebrow and as much as I wanted this conversation to be brief, I couldn't help but question.

"Are you like that with all your female friends?" He shrugged and took a casual step closer.

"Only the ones I like." He licked his lips and turned his head to his left to look down the labyrinth. "It seems I made you lose your group." I followed his gaze to the long isle of greenery where no people were in sight.

"Did you do that on purpose?!" I said in a raised tone, stepping down a bit as if I'd get a clear sight ahead. Mister Handsome Pantry Guy shook his head.

"No, but luckily I know my way through. Want to join me?" I looked up at him and almost laughed right in his face.

"No way sir. I've seen how situations like these turn out and I rather not."

"You keep calling me sir." He smirked. "I like it." I don't know why I was so surprised at his simple sexual innuendos, but I guess it was because they were unexpected. Either that or I was foreign to the art of flirtation.

"What is that like a schoolgirl fantasy of yours?" He furrowed his brows at me in confusion.

"What?" Oh yeah, I forgot that English was most likely not his first language so some references were unknown by him.

"Nevermind." I held my portfolio close to my chest.

"Are you here for the gala event?" He asked. I nodded assuming that he expected to see me again. "I thought so, senhorita-" he paused for my name which I was reluctant to give but I decided it would bring no harm.

"Annabelle."

"Mmm beautiful name." I was flattered that he thought so, but I knew not to show it. I could already tell from the short conversation. He would sweet talk and use his good looks to butter a woman up and then dispose of her whenever he got bored. I so didn't need that, especially in a foreign country.

"Thanks. Anyway, I'm just going to head back to the palace. Bye-uh-"

"Francisco." I didn't bother to compliment his name as he'd done to mine. I just walked away toward the palace happy for an end to a nearly awkward encounter.