Eighteen

But 'anyday now' never came and by the fifth day of being back in New York and back in the office, I felt that I was forcing myself not to think about him. But it was entirely too hard especially when I went to the staff coffee room and everyone was reminiscing about the gala.

Then when I went to meet with Scott he wanted to discuss some of the successful shots taken in Portugal. However, the worst part was that we had a new model for our spread this week whose name was Francheska. Fran-cheska! So whenever someone uttered the "Fran-" part I immediately jolted with mild excitement and a pounding heart only to notice that it was a false alarm.

Then, when Monday came back around, I was greeted with a surprise that I truly hadn't expected. It started in the morning when I had woken up late for work due to my previous night of a Full House marathon. So I quickly got dressed in the first thing I could find then caught a taxi to the Metallic building. I immediately apologized to Scott when I arrived and was greeted with a load of work that involved me running around for two hours then spending some time buried in the photography room.

When I saw Bianca in the hallway I almost clawed her eyes out.

"You couldn't wake me up this morning?!"

"I didn't spend the night in the loft Anna." She rolled her eyes, "I was with my sister last night, remember I told you." I re thought our previous conversations and recalled her saying just that when we grabbed lunch Saturday afternoon at some sushi bar.

"Oh, yeah." I nodded.

"Anna." I heard Scott call me down the hall.

"Damn, I'll see you later Bianca."

"Yeah, see you for the celebration thing later." She said with a wave. Celebration thing? What was she talking about? I shook my head then turned to give Scott my attention.

"I just got a few digital files from the shoot with Fran-cheska..." oh there went the name again. I gulped hard. "...I need them catalogued and optimized please. Afterward, tell Lloyd in the cafe that we don't need catering for the shoot tomorrow. When you're done you might as well stay down there for the celebration party." He smiled then walked away from me. Celebration party? What was going on? It was the second mention of this within the last three minutes.

Curiosity consumed me while I did the tasks I was summoned to complete. However, by the time I got to the cafe I noticed a crowd of familiar faces in the east dining room.

When I walked inside, I had only a moment to acknowledge the large sign that said Congratulations Noela before the lights were dimmed and the designated shusher was in full effect.

Only about twenty seconds lapsed before the private elevator door opened to reveal a well dressed Noela who was greeted by one big exclamation of "Congratulations!" I hadn't known about this at all and I began to put the pieces together slowly but surely. She'd accepted the position!

"Wow! You did this for me?!" She gushed in astonishment. I shook myself from my thoughts and rushed over to where she was already posing for the camera.

"Noela!" I said to her. She wrapped me in an embrace.

"Anna, what an amazing surprise!"

"I had no idea this was happening but I'm glad you decided to work at Metallic."

"It took a bit of convincing but I decided taking the position would be best." We were both handed a cup of cream soda and a plate of mini egg rolls and cheese puffs.

"Well congratulations on the new position." I smiled. Bianca came over with a wide grin.

"Congrats! We need you back here, especially after all you did at the gala."