Chapter 42

Carl looked uncomfortable.
"Yeah, that's what happened yesterday night." He mumbled.

Adrien frowned hard, wondering whom she met in his building.
"What time? Did she tell whom she met?"
He asked.

Carl frowned at his boss's sudden interest in an employee. But he answered nonetheless.
"Nearly 9 pm. But no, she didn't tell whom she met;" He paused but then his eyes lit up remembering something "yeah, and she had a tiffin in her hand. She was carring some dinner probably." He told Adrien.
"Yeah, that's all." He told, nodding to himself.

Adrien pursued his lips.
He had gone to her cabin at 7:30 but she wasn't there, not wanting to seem desperate, he went to his penthouse, and he was definitely annoyed. He remembered snapping Carl when he called. But could it be possible she came to give him his dinner. But then why would she be in hysterics and leave without telling him or giving him the dinner. There were chances she could be meeting someone else.

He sighed and decided to ask her himself.

~~~~~~~~~~

Well his plan to talk with Em was failing because she avoided him like plague.
Emerson wasn't giving him a single look. Whenever he tried to talk, she would excuse herself telling she has work or she is doing something more important , and his annoyance was growing wondering what happened last night in his building that she was so hell bent on avoiding him.

But now he was sick of this game of hide and seek, and he went to her office, determined.

He entered without knocking and Emerson looked at him with her lips pursued.

"Enough is enough, you have avoided me too much, but not now. Now tell me what the hell happened and why are avoiding me. I can literally feel the coldness radiating from you." He said harshly.

Emerson clenched her jaw and averted her gaze.
"Nothing happened." Her tone was blank.

"God dammit Emerson tell me what happened! Carl said you were below my building yesterday in hysterics! And you expect me to let it go! " He almost yelled at her.

She looked at him dead in the eye and coldly spoke.
"Nothing happened because you told me the first day we met I shouldn't feel anything if I see you with another woman. Then please tell me why should I tell you what happened, even if you said you wanted to give us a chance? " He said harshly.

Adrien frowned. The first thought came in his mind was she saw the pic outside the restaurant, but it was taken down.

"Tell me what happened I'm straight words because your words aren't making sense to me. I said that on our first day but it was true when I said I wanted to give this marriage a chance. But it was you who left for here and said you wanted space, then what the hell is this about? " He whispered harshly.

Emerson let out a humourless chuckle.
"Oh, you are right, it's my fault then. I called you, you snapped at me and hung up, it was my fault I called you.
It was my fault I felt guilty, and cooked dinner for you and brought it for you. It was my fault I came knocking on your door to see a half naked women, her lipstick smeared and hickies spread on her neck and breasts opened it. It was my fault that I wanted to be civil, it's my fault I hoped my husband, even if it was an arranged marriage won't cheat on me! " She whisper yelled at him, her breaths heavy.

Adrien was stunned, but he was more shocked wondering who the hell did he see.

"What? " He spluttered in disbelief.

Emerson sighed.
"I know it was wrong of me to think you won't be with any woman when you cleared me so. I overreacted, I am sorry. I think we should keep our distance. " She said calmly.