Chapter 4 : Why is Luke scared of them?

Piper's POV

The first week at school had been quite something for Piper. It took less than a day for rumours to start swirling around the school about two of the new arrivals, Percy and Reyna Jackson.

On top of all that, she'd made a new friend, Calypso, and introduced her to her friend group. Calypso had been great fun, even with Leo fawning over her like crazy.

Piper and Silena had even sat down together after three days of school and vented to each other about how annoying it was that some of their friends didn't realise that they had feelings for each other. Hazel and Frank, Travis and Katie, Leo and Calypso.

"And that's when I walked around the corner, right into him." Annabeth said, snapping Piper out of her thoughts.

"Wait, hold up. This guy, who you said we can't trust, ran into you, and he isn't dead? Annie, you've slapped guys for talking to you before." Thalia piped up.

"W- I- yeah well, he helped me pick up my stuff and apologised ok?" Annabeth replied.

"Suuuuure, cuz that's why he isn't dead." Piper laughed.

"Also, do you think I could slap him with his whatever she is next to him? Those two are scarier than the entirety of the Russian Mob." Annabeth added, obviously trying desperately to steer away from the subject.

"Speak of the devil." Silena said, gesturing across the field they were walking on to a big tree.

Piper looked where she was pointing and saw the two new students sitting at its base, the girl reading a book and the boy eating what looked like blue cookies.

"Literally." Piper said, noticing Luke Castellan, of all people, walking towards the new students. What could he possibly want with them? Could they be friends?

That thought was instantly debunked, as Piper saw the two new kids shoot up to their feet, their hands flying behind their backs seemingly out of instinct.

"Now now, is that any way to greet an old friend?" Piper barely heard Luke say, as they were quite far away.

"You are anything but a friend Castellan. Don't act like you know what that word means." Reyna growled, sounding like a rabid dog.

Piper slowly inched forwards, along with Thalia and Annabeth, trying to hear what they were saying more clearly.

Unfortunately, Luke started talking quieter, but Piper managed to pick up something about a court, two guys called Julian and Gabe and Luke being surprised that they were at the school.

Percy then stepped forward, his face steely and filled with anger. Piper almost backed away in fear of his look. She prayed desperately never to be in the receiving end of one of those stares.
It was filled with rage and pain.

Percy's hand came back from behind his back, but there was nothing in it. He jabbed his finger into Luke's chest, apparently threatening him. That threat was incredibly quiet though, and all Piper could pick up was something about Luke killing a grove, whatever that meant.

Luke didn't seem to care. He laughed it off, turning around and walking back to the college part of the campus.

Piper turned to see multiple confused expressions on her friends faces, but as she saw Nico, she noticed his expression was both knowing, angry, sad and disappointed at the same time.

"Annie, I know you said we couldn't trust them, but I want to know what is going on there." Thalia said cautiously. "That wasn't his usual "I'm laughing off a threat" face. He's genuinely scared of the two."