ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 2

I WOKE UP from my sleep full of nightmares with a distant but loud knock on the front door

At first I thought it could be John, but he has the keys and it's probably passed out on the living room's couch.

I debate with myself if I should get up and open the door. Either way I would be punished for my actions. No matter what I do, there's always something wrong that I have to be punished for.

If John wakes up with the banging on the door, I would be punished.

But if I open the door, he would punish me too.

I get up from the mattress on the floor, but instantly fall back. Yesterday I was home late because I had a fight, and because of my tardiness he decided to punish me.

He punched and kicked me in places that my clothes could hide. That includes my ribs. My skin is a mixture of black, purple and yellow and it's hurting like a bitch.

I just hope it's not broken.

Does he think that he's not manly enough and if he hit a girl it will make him more of a man? Sorry to break to you sweetie but a real man would never lay a finger on a girl.

I grab two painkillers from my nightstand and swallow them down my throat. I head downstairs from my room, which consists of a mattress, a nightstand and a wardrobe.

As I get to the front door I look through the peephole and as I see who was there my eyebrows draw together in confusion.

There were two police officers standing in front of John's house.

I opened the door as the older officer was about to knock again. His hand stopped midway and he looked at me.

His eyes had... pity?

If there is one thing I hate is pity. When people look at you with pity, it's insulting.

When someone is pitied, they stop being a human being to the person who is pitying them. Instead they are a thing - an object. We became a disability, a problem, a sad story.

I look at their name tags. The older one has dark brown hair and forest green eyes, Officer Garcia.

The second one has dirty blonde hair and caramel brown eyes, Officer Davis.

"Hello, Are you Aurora Marino?" says officer Garcia. I nod in response and he continues.  "Sorry to be the one to break the news, but unfortunally your foster dad, John, died last night on a car accident. Since you are a minor we'll have to take you to the station so we can do a DNA test just to make sure if you have any family that you may not know about. If they accept to take you in you'll be staying with them, but if we don't find anyone you'll be staying on another foster home."

They analyze me, searching for any reaction. I just stared at them with a blank and cold expression.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that he died, but what if my next house is worse?

Am I going to be able to survive more abuse?

Those are the questions running inside my head.

I've waited for this day for a while now, but at the same time I wanted to be the one to kill him. He probably had a quick death, and I wanted him to suffer the same way I did.

"Okay, am I supposed to pack or just go to the station and pack after coming back?" I ask the two officers in front of me.

"You can pack now. We'll be waiting in the car." Officer Garcia answers me still shocked from my lack of responce with the new information.

The two officers make their way to their car while I make my way to my room. I pack my suitcases with my clothes, money and weapons. Then I remembered about my cars.

Yes, cars in the plural. I will just ship them to wherever I'm going to live. Yeah, that sonds good.

The ride to the station was silent. When we get there they leave me in a room with a chair and a desk. I sit in the chair and wait. It's been 3 hours since the last time they came in to take what's necessary for the DNA test.

Are they serious?! My fucking ass hurts!

Finally they came back. Officer Davis is the first to break the silence.

"Aurora, we are happy to inform you that the DNA test came back and it shows that you have some relatives alive. Those include your father and brothers. They were happy to take you in! Your father and your older brother will be coming to the station to get you, but unfortunately this will take some time since they are coming from NY. We'll be outside, if you need anything please don't hesitate to ask."

The shock in my face was evident. Right after they informed me of the news they left me alone in the room.

I just hope they are not like John. I know they abandoned me, and because of that I won't let them in without a explanation. They will have to earn my trust .

------------------------------