Nai

I notice Asher drift off as I tell Clay about the book, I don't know why but I am super aware of his every movement. For the first time, I want to know what someone else is thinking, especially about what he thinks of me.

I look back at Clay as he elbows Asher, he smirks as he turns back to me.

"How long have you been deaf?" he asks me.

"Since I was seven, I was in a car accident," I explain. Clay is the one asking the questions but something tells me it's Asher that wants to know the answers.

"Are you reading my lips right now?" he asks, his face lightens up when I nod. "Can you read everyone's lips? How close does someone have to be?" he asks eagerly.

Asher pokes him in the ribs, stopping him from talking. I look at Asher just as his dark eyes turn to look at me. For the first time since they sat down, Asher actually looks at me.

'It's a good job I'm already sitting, why do my knees suddenly feel like they're going weak?' My heart races, my cheeks flush and I want to look away but I can't, it's like I'm held in place.

"Don't mind him, he's a bit of a nosy idiot," he says with a smile. I'm lost in that smile. I feel a blush rising after I realise I've been staring.

Suddenly I see both boys turn towards the school before I feel my watch go off. I gather my things and turn back to them to see them watching me.

"How did you know it was the end of lunch?" Asher asks. I show them my watch.

"It's a smartwatch, I programmed alarms to tell me when classes and lunch end," I explain as I show them. Asher nods looking a bit disappointed, I'm confused by his look but I don't say anything. I'm unsure if I want to know the answer or if he will tell me.

I say goodbye and start to walk away, there's a deep ache in my heart as I start to leave. It quickly goes away once I realise that they are walking with me, I can see and feel lots of eyes on us.

I lower my head to avoid their looks. I want to move away from the two alpha type guys. This is too much attention for me, pain always follows this type of attention.

I'm starting to panic as the memories begin to flash through my mind.

Hard punches, silent taunts, head slammed into metal lockers.

I'm so lost in the memories that it takes me a minute to realise that I have been pulled into a hard warm body. Asher is holding me, his strong arms are wrapped tightly around my small frame.

I panic for a minute thinking he has done this in front of the whole school. I glance around us and sigh, slightly, in relief. We are down a small empty hallway.

I stare up into his eyes and my mind goes blank. His eyes are filled with what looks like worry.

I feel him stroke my cheek as I try to focus on what his lips are saying.

"What's wrong?" he asks me worriedly. I close my eyes and shake my head. I gently try to pull myself away, I can tell he doesn't like that. I feel a rumble and it shocks me.

"Did you just growl?" I ask him as he drops his arm allowing me to step away. I instantly miss the warmth and strength surrounding me. He shakes his head ignoring my question.

"Are you ok? You suddenly looked so sad, what were you thinking about? Was it something I did or said? Did I upset you?" his brow is crossed as I can imagine he is trying to think of what he might have done wrong.

I smile warmly up at the big guy. For a large alpha type male, he is surprisingly a big softie.

"I'm fine, you didn't upset me. I just don't like people staring at me like that, it usually leads to them beating me up," I explain. His eyes flash like two pools of raging fire.