Second Chances - Part 2

Tomorrow never came. He slept for three days straight. Mai and Wes came to check on him every day. I was starting to get very worried. Wolves typically heal very quickly when injured. If they are ever severely injured then the most they rest is a day. However, he still showed no signs of waking.

His bruises had faded within a day but his skin was still pale. He was also still cold to the touch, not as cold as he had been but still not hot enough even by wolf standards or humans.

On the fourth night, I went to sleep as usual but after an hour something forced me to wake up. At first, I couldn't figure out what until I noticed the bedroom door open. I was certain I had closed it.

I looked around my room and nothing seemed out of place so I laid back down. My eyes scanned the space next to me before I closed my eyes. Then I shot up, eyes wide. The space next to me was empty.

I raced out of the room and followed his scent. He hadn't gotten very far, his weak body wouldn't allow it. I found him near the tree line. His body was slumped against the tree as he tried to regain his strength and breath.

He stood up straight and glared when he noticed me approaching. I stopped a few feet away from him.

"What do you want?" he demanded.

His voice wasn't as strong as he was probably hoping it sounded. I took a step closer and stopped when he growled at me. He looked cute.

'Wait! Cute!' I thought. 'Since when do I find men cute?'

"Look I'll answer all of your questions the best I can but can we go back inside first? You're not exactly in the best condition to be walking about," I asked.

He glared at me and I couldn't help but smile. Eventually, his weak body made the decision for him. He slumped forward and instinctively I moved forward to help.

"I can manage," he said defiantly.

His shaky legs walked past me back towards the house. I could see beads of sweat forming on his bare body. He faltered a little and just as we reached the house his legs gave way.

Again, I went to help him and again he told me he could do it. I huffed and folded my arms as I stood back.

"Look Cub, there is no shame in accepting help. I'm not here to hurt you," I said.

He glared at me and again I found it adorable.

"Don't call me Cub," he growled.

"Well in the absence of any other name, I have no choice," I said with a chuckle as I bent to pick him up.

I put his arm around my shoulders and I wrapped one arm around his waist. He grunted at me but allowed me to guide him back.

"Alec," he said quietly.

"What?" I said not quite hearing him.

"My name is Alec," he told me with a glare.

We finally made it back to my room and I helped him back into bed. His glare never stopped as I took a seat next to him. Though the glare didn't last long. Eventually, his eyes started to droop. I knew the midnight exertion had taken a lot out of him.

"You don't have to stay with me. You can go back to your room and we will talk in the morning," he said, stifling a yawn.

I leaned forward with a smirk. He moved away a little and it stirred the hunter in me.

"This is my room Cub."

His eyes went wide and his mouth hung open. No longer feeling tired, the scent of his fear hit me like a ton of bricks.