Max

It had taken me months of relentless begging and pleading with my mum for her to finally give in and move back. She wouldn't listen until I promised her if she lets me go back to Nai then I would stop being gay. That worked a treat. Ever since I came out to them she has been introducing me to every possible girl or woman she can find.

I think she hoped one of them could 'cure' me.

The instant we arrive I instantly go to Nai's house. It's locked and from what I can see through the windows no one lives there anymore.

'Maybe they have moved house?' I think as I make my way to school the next day. I head straight to the office after school when I fail to see Nai at all, in any of the lessons I know he should be in.

The women in the office tell me that Nai is no longer attending that school, in fact, he has moved to somewhere in Texas. When I got home I contemplated asking mum to move again but when she tells me about how good it is to see her old friends, I know the answer.

She asks me about Nai and I scowl.

"He's not here. He moved not long after you made me leave," I accuse. She gives me the look that says 'don't test me'.

"We wouldn't have moved if you didn't get into so many fights," she states.

"What was I supposed to do? Just let my best friend get bullied and beaten. You know I couldn't do that!" I yell at her. I stomp off to the stairs but stop before I head up.

"Oh and by the way deals off. I said I would stop being gay if we could go back to Nai. He isn't here so no deal."

I don't wait to see her expression. I can imagine how pissed off she looks right now.

It takes me a few weeks to find out where he has moved to. It would have taken less time if mum hadn't confiscated my phone and erased every number that wasn't family.

I had thought about contacting him on social media until I remember he doesn't do any of that. No matter how hard I tried to convince him.

With graduation coming closer I decided to take a risk and apply to the university closest to his new town. Mum isn't happy but I honestly don't care.

Ever since I left I realised my feelings for Nai were more than what I thought. I always thought he was cute, but he wasn't my type or at least that's what I thought.

Plus I never thought he was interested in anyone, let alone guys.

I am almost positive he will come to this school. I spend the better part of two weeks walking around campus looking for him. I'm about to give up, thinking he might have gone somewhere else when I spot him in a coffee shop.

He's sat reading, at first I wasn't sure it was him. He looks different somehow. I can't quite place how. I walk over to him and stand behind the chair in front of him, my heart is pounding.

"Finally, I've been waiting for you," he says. A stab of jealousy hits my heart, he's waiting for someone. A girlfriend maybe?

"Sit down already," he tells me. I follow his command, pull out the chair and sit down. Nai doesn't look up right away, it takes him a minute but when he does his dark eyes go wide.

"Max?" I smile, at least he remembers me.

'Hey Nai,' I sign. I'm really glad that I continued to learn. 'You look good, how have you been?'

His mouth opens and closes like a fish. It takes everything I can to not burst out laughing at the look he's giving me.

'Are you at least going to say hi to your oldest friend?'