Challenge Cups

"Kate can you please open the door" Rachel pleads from the other side of my room.

My current position involves 3 blankets draped around my shoulders and my head buried deep under the covers. The long weeks of court dates and meeting with lawyers have finally caught up with me, along with the agonising cut off I've been forced to have with my family, and the act of being perfectly okay in front of the media and fans.

"Let us come in and we can talk this through" Kristie pleads alongside Rachel, but none of it works in getting me out.

I hear a deep sigh from the other end and the changed tone in Rachels voice speaks up, "We'll leave you be Speedy but you've got to come out in 2 hours for the game".

Right, I still have to play football don't I. Due to the collapse of the league system, the people who have been currently been appointed in charge came up with a way for football to still carry on. Unfortunately for Orlando, they haven't been allowed to play due to the investigation the club is under which I suppose is a bonus for me as I don't have to see any of my family on the pitch. A Challenge Cup was created and has been hosted in Utah for the past week, it's a lot different to what everyone's used to; fast paced games and the eventual high stake play off matches, so there's little time for mistakes.

Our first game was played a week ago; a 3-3 draw against Reign and our Rachel securing herself 2 goals and assisting one for me too. It would have felt monumental scoring my first goal for this club if I hadn't have been dragged off right after to speak with  lawyers urgently. But here I am trying to find myself in this new club, away from my family, and dealing with the downfall of a club I was kicked out from.

I glance over at the clock resting on my bed side and realise I've wasted the past 2 hours moping around in bed. So, hauling myself off my backside, I change into some fresher clothes and sort out my hair before grabbing my gear and opening the door to face my two concerned roommates. Both their heads shoot up to the sound of the hinges creaking and the sorrowful look on their faces only makes me lower my head further to the floor.

I wordlessly grab the keys from the counter and throw them towards Kristie, silently conveying that I'm ready to leave. They pick up on my hint, and follow me out the door, Rachel locking up as Kristie walks beside me. I feel her hand slip into mine and offer a tight squeeze that makes my heart clench and eyes swim with tears.

"You don't have to go through this alone Kate" Kristie soft voice says, "We're here to help you speedy" The reassurance in her words only furthers the perpetual feeling of misery that this is all causing. It feels almost obscene that an 18 year old could be dragged this far into a mess of corruption and scandals, but here I am.

"This isn't something you can help with Kristie" I say mustering up my best smile which doesn't seem to convince Kristie as a look of pity spreads across her face. "I promise, this isn't something you can or would want to get involved in". The shake of my head and hand slipping back out of hers is enough for the conversation to be dropped.

Rachels joins back up with us and we head to the car, making it yet another silent ride to the stadium. I try to not think about it too much and focus on getting prepared for the game, or more so who I'm about to see on the opposite team; Kelley. My relationship with Kelley is probably one of the best with the girls who don't play in Orlando, she's always been more of the cool older sister than a parental figure in my life which has meant I've been able to go to her for a lot of things that I found awkward talking to Alex back in the day.

Now however, the thought of talking to Kelley about this seems even worse than if I was allowed communication with my mother. Kelley knows me like the back of her hand, she's been able to read my thoughts and feelings from the first day we met, and with the fact she hasn't been in contact with Alex either I know she feels responsible over me, the hundreds of phone calls can tell me that as well.