The British Media

I knew when the world found out about my nationality change that it wasn't going to be talked about quietly but I certainly wasn't expecting what happened after I left that locker room.

"Kate! Why have you chosen to play for England, does you allegiance not stand with the US?"

"Why are you turning your back on your home country?!"

"Do you think you deserve to play for England seeing as you've never lived over here?"

"Are you only playing here to get back at Jill Ellis for not offering you a spot?"

"What do you housemates think of this major decision?"

I try to ignore the bright lights of the cameras flashing and the million and one microphones being shoved in my face but when it gets to the point where you're crowded in a circle by them you can't seem to escape.

I just put my hands up to my head trying to shield my face and hope that this end soon. I can feel the tears trickling down my cheeks as the shouts continue and all I want right now is for Alex to be here and tell me it's going to all be okay.

Out of nowhere, I feel someone pick me up by my waist and I'm placed over their shoulder. I don't complain because they're getting me away from all the cameras and reporters that are doing my head in.

I keep my eyes shut until I feel myself placed down on a seat and Jill is kneeling in front of me, her hand resting on my knees and her eyes filled with worry

"You okay Baby America?" She asks me quietly as more people get onto the bus.

Everyone is staring at me and I can't bring myself to look up at their faces wondering if they're all thinking the same as the reporters, they don't think I'm only here to get back at Jill, do they?

"Why don't we all just get back to the hotel first, we can don't a thing out then" I hear the distinctive voice of Rachel say over the group of girls.

The follow what she says and find their seats while I stay where I am, trying to focus on my breathing and not have a panic attack over what just happened

"You're safe now Kate, they can't harass you like that anymore" Georgia whispers having taken the seat next to me

I don't care that we're not out right now and I just bury my head into the side of her neck while her arms wrap around my body. Why did my first cap have to be ruined by these animal-like reporters?

- - - -

"We need to say something as a team, we can't let the media get away with this" Millie yells out angrily as the team continue to argue about what's the best thing to do.

Ever since we got back from the game the team held a meeting to talk about what happened and now they are arguing about how to handle it all. To say they aren't happy with how it went down is an understatement, according to them they had a similar case with an old player called Karen Carney.

"If we hit this too hard then they're going to spin it the wrong way, we need to think this through," Steph tells Millie trying to calm her down

"Yeah but if we stay silent for too long then it's not going to seem genuine and worse press will come our way" KB adds on betting a few hums from other team members

"We know what the British Media is like, they are ruthless to people who are nothing but English, they will tear any foreigner apart" Jill says adding to my stress levels

"Guys please stop" I whisper out my hand rubbing my head as I try to think straight

"This is my mess and I need to sort it out myself," I say lifting my head up to look at the team