☞︎𝚏𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗❦ 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚎

TW: injury, bleeding, fire
[𝟸:𝟷𝟺𝚊𝚖]
[𝚞𝚗𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚝𝚎𝚍]

❦༒❦

[𝙳𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖'𝚜 𝙿𝚘𝚅]

❦༒❦

The smell was overwhelming.

It smelt like smoke -  primarily - sweat, and burning. I woke up with a cough, it got so bad that I felt like I was coughing up my lungs.

I saw (Y/N) laying next to me, I tried to shake her awake but she wouldn't budge. "Ba," I was interrupted by my own cough, ",babe...wake up..."

The sound of sirens approached but my thoughts were trained on her alone.

The most I got was a face twitch. "Please...wake...up."

I finally took a look at my surroundings. There was flames everywhere. Licking up the walls and spread over the wooden floor. The door was keeping out most of the flames from her bedroom but a few objects began to be covered with ash.

Everything felt so dry yet sticky at the same time. I could feel sweat on my face but it probably stopped at this point.

With every movement there came some sort of cough. It took a lot of effort but I lifted up (Y/N), resting her chin on my shoulder so she faced the bed frame. I made a makeshift face covering with a random shirt that remained untouched by the fire.

Placing it over her mouth and nose, I finally felt some form of relief. It didn't last long but at least she wouldn't...die...would she?

The coughing became violent as I held her flush to my chest, cradling her as if she were a child. There were tear tracks on her cheeks and her hair was knotted together.

Trying to take as little breaths as possible, I lifted her gently off my chest and scrambled around for another short of some kind. I rummaged through her wardrobe, finding a t-shirt easily and covering my own face.

Thank fuck for that one man coming into school and teaching us fire safety.

There wasn't much else I could do, the door was blocked by flames, we were on the 17th floor and the sirens were only getting closer by a bit.

All I could do was climb back onto the bed, as it was the furthest thing from the door, and hold her close as we wait.

❦༒❦

[𝚂𝚊𝚐𝚎'𝚜 𝙿𝚘𝚅]

❦༒❦

I stopped dead in my tracks.

I must've stopped by the wrong block of apartments...surely.

Our whole apartment block couldn't possibly be on fire.

But it was...I knew this because I took this route every day coming home from work.

This...this was my home.

The fire department and police were outside, lights blaring and water spraying over the concrete, some of the grass outside had even began to smoke.