Chapter 19: Try Not to Laugh, Fail Edition

I sat down in a comfortable chair in the middle of a grey, metallic room with nothing but a screen in front of me, the size of which was challenged by a cinema screen. Ovi and Paul were sitting in the observation chamber just off the side of my peripherals, watching me as I sat in the chair.

"I'm just going to test how you react to certain scenes from movies and videos I've picked up from Earth. Are you all ready to go?" Ovi asked, his voice weirdly high pitched as it came through the speakers. I gave him a thumbs up and the first video seemed to be a try not to laugh compilation he'd taken off YouTube, judging by the annoying boarders around the video. I watched silently, cringing at the different clips that mostly showed stupid people falling or hurting themselves. A few minutes of the video went by before I first laughed at a video of keyboard cat, out of confusion, and Ovi quickly paused the video, obviously jotting own the findings on his computer, before changing the video to clips from Harry Potter, the saddest ones he could obviously find, and I instantly started sobbing.

"Why are you showing me spoilers from the new Harry Potter?!" I exclaimed, covering my eyes as I saw Dobby in Harry's arms, obviously dead.

"Apologies!" Ovi exclaimed, turning off the monitor. I groaned to myself and held my head in my hands, leaning back in the chair. My temples thudded against my fingers as I felt a headache coming on and Ovi rushed over in concern, followed by Paul.

"Are you ok? What is wrong?" Ovi asked, rushing over to me.

"I just have a headache; do you have any pain relief? Panadol?" I asked, pushing myself up a bit. Ovi looked at me, confused.

"What is 'Panadol?'" He asked.

"It's like a pain relief pill that stops pain somewhere in the body, I usually use it for my headaches."

Ovi rushed off and returned with a handheld device that had a bulbous sphere on top, with a space to put something dipped into it, a neck and then a rectangle at the bottom that had an empty area as if there was supposed to be something in there.

"This is a psychomaterialiser, it detects what you want and materializes it out of the atoms inserted into it in the storage area it is kept. Just put your head into this slot, it will detect what you want, and it will make it for you. Here," Ovi handed the device to me and I inspected it for a second.

"Don't worry, love, it's safe," Paul reassured me, coming up to me and placing a hand on my shoulder. I let out a sigh and placed my head in the empty area, my head being filled with a low buzzing sound before a singular chime signaled it was finished. I pulled back and looked in the output slot to see two white pills sitting on the bottom. I took them and put my head back in again, waited and pulled out to see a small cup of water. I took the cup, emptied it into my mouth and downed the pills.

"See, easy," Paul smiled, patting me on the back. I smiled and handed Ovi the machine back, but he refused, smiling.

"You can keep it, just give it back when it runs out of power. Which shouldn't be soon, considering it has enough power for the next ten years," Ovi laughed, leading us out of the experimenting room. I held the machine in one hand and Paul's hand in the other, a small smile on my face.

"We'll be approaching Talgis in a few days, until then I am always ready to give you a full tour of the ship. Also, the plant samples you gave me have successfully grown and should be ready by tomorrow afternoon, given the fertilizer we feed them successfully speeds up the growing process," Ovi smiled, placing his hand on the security door to open the door to the food court. "I'd suggest resting after that, I have a lot of data to upload and that will probably take me the rest of the day. If you need me, just call me using the phone I put in your room. Have a good rest of your day," He smiled and then walked back through the door, leaving us in the food court.